Engine Car died once

Thebluefox1

Jun 28, 2022
Pasadena
Hello I have a 1990 5.0 stock except(alternator and radiator) I drove my car on a 30-45 min drive on the highway ran fine when I got to my destination I took 2 small turns and on the 3rd one it died and wouldn’t start it cranked but sounded like it wasn’t getting fuel it marked 1/2 tank, I came back after a while when I tried it started no problem but it marked 1/4 tank. The temp while driving was on the O but idk how accurate is the gage I went to a close gas stations and filled up just in case I drove back home and it gave me no problems the gage was at O this time as well could it have overheated or the fuel pump I also hear the tfi gets hot and causes problems but it would have turned off the second time no?

Any help is appreciated I don’t want to be worried it might die in a worst situation

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on what the General said above. If you do get to a cranks but won’t start condition go here:

Scroll all the way down to “Trouble Shooting” and select “Cranks but No Start Checklist - jrichker

That is what most consider to be the Holy Grail of check lists for that conduction and it has fixed a lot of cars. All hail jrichker…I miss that guy.

+1 on what the General said above. If you do get to a cranks but won’t start condition go here:

Scroll all the way down to “Trouble Shooting” and select “Cranks but No Start Checklist - jrichker

That is what most consider to be the Holy Grail of check lists for that conduction and it has fixed a lot of cars. All hail jrichker…I miss that guy.
I try and replicate the problem in order to diagnose thank you

I would check all your battery and ground connections (including the starter solenoid) as something could have shifted when you were turning causing a bad connection. Also pull the passenger side kick panel and make sure all the wires harnesses and grounds near the computer are tight.

It could also be the TFI. I had never seen one have any issues until I did! I was accelerating from a stop light on a major road in 90*+ heat and my car just cut off at about 50 MPH. Fortunately I was able to coast to a good spot and get off the road. I popped the hood and let it cool down for 15-20 minutes and it started back up with no issues and got me home. Before driving it again I installed a new Motorcraft TFI and the relocation kit. That was two years ago and I haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: 1 user
If it happens again, check for power at the fuel pump relay under the driver seat (I have 90 as well). I had an intermittent fuel pump shutting off issue a couple summers ago, turned out to be the connector behind the driver kick panel that the fuel pump power runs through. I cleaned and tightened up the pins in the connector and no issue since.

As soon as you said it died while turning my first thought was your foot hit the kick panel - that was all mine took to kick out the fuel pump.

Reactions: 1 user
Anytime you have a no start condition with a hot engine, try cranking with the throttle depressed all the way. This puts the ECU into "flood clear" mode that will not fire the injectors. See if it starts this way.

Often times failing sensors (coolant sensor) can cause a rich condition when hot that can stall the engine out and prevent it from restarting hot. Flood clear mode allows you to clear out that fuel and get a relight.

Dump codes

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I would check all your battery and ground connections (including the starter solenoid) as something could have shifted when you were turning causing a bad connection. Also pull the passenger side kick panel and make sure all the wires harnesses and grounds near the computer are tight.

It could also be the TFI. I had never seen one have any issues until I did! I was accelerating from a stop light on a major road in 90*+ heat and my car just cut off at about 50 MPH. Fortunately I was able to coast to a good spot and get off the road. I popped the hood and let it cool down for 15-20 minutes and it started back up with no issues and got me home. Before driving it again I installed a new Motorcraft TFI and the relocation kit. That was two years ago and I haven't had an issue since.
Did you install the MK3 kit?

My 92 would random cut off. Eventually it wouldn't start no matter what. I discovered the ECU wasnt operating the fuel pump priming event on startup. It turned out to be corroded capacitors in the ECU. Swapped in a refurbished ECU and the problem was solved. Its never stalled out since.