Transmission Woes More $$$$

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
So my car is almost completely undriveable at this point because my old 3550 just needs some love. It simply will not go into 1st and 2nd all the time. Sometimes I have to put it in 3rd to get it moving, then quickly get it back into 1st. So I called the lady at Hanlon to see what it's going to cost me. To replace the sliders and upgrade 2, 3, and 4th synchros to carbon fiber, and another brass synchro is $400, plus we're looking at a few other parts like a steel 3/4 fork and incidentals it's like $560 in parts. Then comes the output shaft issue. I still have a stock 3550 output shaft. The lady at Hanlon was taken back that my 28 spline output shaft has even made it this long. To get it to a TKO output shaft is going to take it up another $400. I just can't see spending a G on this transmission right now.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, well a new one is totally out of the question. I'm wondering how much work I should do now and how much I should put off for later. It's like $40 in fluid everytime you drain that thing. I'd love to have one of those Magnum T56s.

Kurt

That makes it tough Kurt.....I find those still hold decent resale value however. Why not rebuild it yourself? Although the pricing is good and Linda and Bob are very good people, I buy my parts from them.

Those prices were rebuilding it myself. I used to rebuild T-5s and TR-3550s on the side. It's easy, and I've had this transmission apart a few times fixing other things. I sheared a few teeth off of 3rd gear the last time.

Not sure of the resale value on them. Tremec has done quite a few upgrades to the transmission over the years, and this one is pretty early model. The new TKO-500/600 series have a harder gear set. I'm not sure how much harder the gears are though.

Kurt