Upholstery Upgrades using Stock Fox Frames!!

I'm going off the material and color as well. In 92-93, Ford ditched the pull out thigh bolster. Those seats appear to have it, so they are potentially 87-91 seats. The headrests are 87-89, but that particular shade of gray was really 1987-1989 only. In 1990 the gray color got lighter especially the vinyl sides

IMG_0697.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The story continues - but with a good ending.

After viewing a lot of photos of 87-93 seats and most importantly, knowing the headrests were recovered on this monster (see my previous posts), it appears the height difference is in the area between the top of the quilted center section and the piping at the top of the headrest. The measurement on my seats is 3". 87-89 appeared to be more than that. The metal frame with no foam measures 24". So, I took a MASSIVE leap of faith and ordered a TMI 1990 full upholstery kit for an LX/GT, which of course is the 24" low back seat. I knew the headrests weren't going to match, but hopefully the seat backs would.

The Verdict: these are 1990-ish seats that must have been reupholstered in January 1994 with fabric consistent with an 87-89 and the 87-89 headrests were also used and reupholstered. The photo below is the new TMI covers prior to tightening everything down with hog rings (because I can't find mine right now and have to buy new ones). The fit is perfect! Can't wait to see them fully buttoned down with the rings!

Front seats.JPG

So, any one want to trade up 87-89 headrests for a set of '90???!!!!!
(this is the least of my worries)

I'm bumping this since there seems to be a TMI rep in town again. @TMIproducts ? I would still like a set of them if you make them.

Hola - the answer is a both a no and a yes. The R500 series is only offered 1987 and forward. However, we can make custom orders - and the 83 could be patterned to accommodate the R500 pattern. Give our customer service a ring at 800-624-7960 and they can help you build the order and quote you out.

Hola - the answer is a both a no and a yes. The R500 series is only offered 1987 and forward. However, we can make custom orders - and the 83 could be patterned to accommodate the R500 pattern. Give our customer service a ring at 800-624-7960 and they can help you build the order and quote you out.
Thanks for the reply brother. Just to be sure on this, I have the lowback seats. Will it still be doable?

Thanks for the reply brother. Just to be sure on this, I have the lowback seats. Will it still be doable?
As the pattern isn't made yet - it can be done to fit the low back base models since were starting from scratch. However, please know there is a pattern change fee as this will be the only time we've ever made this and the pattern/tables will have to be created just for this order. That said - I'm not sure of exact fees, Customer Service would be able to quote you the penny though. Another thought might be to pick up a set of 87+ seats and use the kit that's already offered. Chances are you could pick up an raggedy beat up old set of 1987-93 seats for less than the pattern up charge would be to make that one custom set. Just a thought.

Those are definitely 87-89. You are correct in the shoulder measurement, but also 87-89 had the oblong headrest - while 90-91 had the shorter rectangle headrest.
Holy :poo:! You're alive!

Some of us were beginning to wonder. :rlaugh:

@TMIproducts
I've been looking at your upgrade options for the stock frames, and I was wondering, are any of them available in burgundy or maroon?

The reason I ask is because my Mustang II has a burgundy/maroon interior, and fox seats are actually a bolt-in for IIs, fox seats are plentiful at junkyards around here, but the upholstery is always torn up, and I see several designs I like on your site, but most of the ones I'd be interested in are showing black only.

Since you're here, can I get an answer to that?

Holy ****! You're alive!

Some of us were beginning to wonder. :rlaugh:

Since you're here, can I get an answer to that?

Ha - yes. I'm alive. I unfortunately moved forum responsibilities over to someone who did nothing of the sort - they are no longer with us annnnnnnnd i'm back to find little to no post were done in my absence. fun eh?

We can make any seat in any color period. It can be done you just have to tell us which material matches your maroon interior. Go to: http://www.tmiproducts.com/swatches.html and pick some samples out. They'l ship them to you for free. Once you have a close match give our customer service a ring at 800-624-7960 and they will be able to help you build any seat you are looking at in that custom maroon. BOOM. easy enough.

-Waylon

Ha - yes. I'm alive. I unfortunately moved forum responsibilities over to someone who did nothing of the sort - they are no longer with us annnnnnnnd i'm back to find little to no post were done in my absence. fun eh?

We can make any seat in any color period. It can be done you just have to tell us which material matches your maroon interior. Go to: http://www.tmiproducts.com/swatches.html and pick some samples out. They'l ship them to you for free. Once you have a close match give our customer service a ring at 800-624-7960 and they will be able to help you build any seat you are looking at in that custom maroon. BOOM. easy enough.

-Waylon
Sweet. I'll snag a set of fox seats next junkyard trip and get swatches ordered.

@TMIproducts

Are the frames the same between the 1985-1986GT and 1987-1989GT sport seats? Are they both 26"?

I see seat foam for sale and the breakdown is typically 84-89, so I assume yes.

I only ask because I've seen some sites refer to the 85-86 sport seat as high-back, and offer different pricing( cheaper) vs the 87-89 seats. I already have halo headrests I intend to use.