What ever happened to the Ford FR500?

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
From a little surfing I've been doing, I saw that Ford had a Mustang around 1999/2000 by this name as a demo.

The interesting thing is that that engine was a 5.0L dual OHC that produced over 400hp NORMAL ASPIRATED!

What happened to this beast? It seem to me, this SHOULD have been an option available to us. Or this should have been the engine to propell the 2003/4 Cobras.
Over 400HP and N/A is amazing from the factory from a 5.0L!

Does anyone have any idea or info about this engine, how did it make that sort of power and why it seemed to just be forgotten?

This engine is mentioned here at the end of the article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11151/2007-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500.html

• Sponsors (?)

more of a test mule for parts than anything else

the rims i'm sure you've seen and the "Cammer 5.0" you can buy if you really want one

SEMA07283.jpg

SEMA07284.jpg

Attachments

• SEMA07283.jpg
    SEMA07283.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 138
  • SEMA07284.jpg
    SEMA07284.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 138
its my understanding that the FR500 was more of an exercise of...lets build a totally badass car and make the parts available through frpp catalog. though all we ever actually saw take off was the fr500 wheels, steering wheel and the engine.

oh yeah and about that engine. a bad ass engine indeed! for 14,000 dollars the crate motor can be yours here

as a side note, i personally i would love to have that rear bumper. i like the way the quad exhaust tips look, but they just dont look right on the stock gt bumper.

I wish the FR500 leather seat kit (covers/cushions) were still available today. They were around for about 1-2 years then discontinued. I love the extended wheelbase of that concept.

from right here....
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...130&prev=/images?q=fr500&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en

fr500rustya.jpg

fr500rustyb.jpg

from the specs page:
ENGINE
Type..........V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke..........3.70 x 3.54 in, 94.0 x 90.0mm
Displacement..........305 cu in, 4997cc
Compression ratio..........9.9:1
Engine-control system..........Ford EEC-V with port fuel injection
Emissions controls..........3-way catalytic converter, feedback air-fuel-ratio control, EGR
Valve gear..........chain-driven double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters
Power (SAE net)..........415 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (SAE net)..........365 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
Redline..........7000 rpm

Yeah, I keep reading articals on the S197 FR500 kicking butt and taking names. It is a hot engine and looks killer:nice: I think its cool they can actually get the car to 2800lbs so it doesnt kill its tires. MM&FF has a write up in the June 07 issue with one in it. The intake on that monster is :drool:

The FR500 doesn't care about cost. It wouldn't be a better race car with a blown 4.6, it would just mess up the already heavy car. The added weight of the blower and the increased IATs. Blower cars arn't really open track cars.