What Exactly To Do To Get Into Low 13's

If I had a $300 budget for heads I would get some Explorer heads and perhaps your buddy could freshen them up a bit. You wouldn't outgrow them as fast as E7s. Explorers and gears and you should be near your goal if you get any traction at all.
Yeah I've been trying to look for a pair of gt40 3 bars... Best I could find was one on ebay... $295 american which'll ring around to 450-500 canadian after shipping. Plus the few hundred to port/freshen them up and what not. If I could find a pair $300 canadian id do it

• Sponsors (?)

There is a guy on here, Sharad, that got a stock 5spd 89 LX 5.0 with the goal of high 12's with minimal mods. He achieved a 12.99 with CAI, full exhaust, bumped timing, LCA's, and slicks. He's a really good driver and it took him several passes but finally got it. I believe there was a magazine article that documented the process.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a guy on here, Sharad, that got a stock 5spd 89 LX 5.0 with the goal of high 12's with minimal mods. He achieved a 12.99 with CAI, full exhaust, bumped timing, LCA's, and slicks. He's a really good driver and it took him several passes but finally got it. I believe there was a magazine article that documented the process.
I believe he went faster than 12.99. Secondly, they were drag radials, he just bought his first pair of slicks three weeks ago.
Thirdly, dude can flat out drive.
Fourth, exactly what I keep saying. You could make 500hp, but if you can't put it to the ground it's useless.

I believe he went faster than 12.99. Secondly, they were drag radials, he just bought his first pair of slicks three weeks ago.
Thirdly, dude can flat out drive.
Fourth, exactly what I keep saying. You could make 500hp, but if you can't put it to the ground it's useless.
Thank you for correcting me with hardly any facts at all.

I went through the trouble of looking up the article from 08'. Here's the link with all the info.
1989 Ford Mustang LX - Fox Buildup

He went 12.91 @ 103.7 with Mickey drag radials, electric fan, NO A/C, NO P/S, NO smog pump, no sway bar, car had 3.73 gears, o/r H pipe, cat back dumped exaust, UPR control arms, MAC's Air Chamber mass air system and a 5k launch with a 1.69 second 60'. Maybe I missed a detail but hey I've had a couple drinks, read the article in the link. Have a good Sunday!

:cheers::cheers:

Reactions: 2 users

I went through the trouble of looking up the article from 08'. Here's the link with all the info.

He went 12.91 @ 103.7 with Mickey drag radials, electric fan, NO A/C, NO P/S, NO smog pump, no sway bar, car had 3.73 gears, o/r H pipe, cat back dumped exaust, UPR control arms, MAC's Air Chamber mass air system and a 5k launch with a 1.69 second 60'. Maybe I missed a detail but hey I've had a couple drinks, read the article in the link. Have a good Sunday!

I actually did state facts, just not proof. I just remember reading the article just like you. Sorry if I came off as an jerk, just wanted the O.P. to know that 12's could be done in a street car with suspension mods! Thanks for helping me out!

Reactions: 1 user

That is a good read. When I went 12's I had the factory original suspension, and zero weight removal. I did have long tube headers tho... and was running in 2600' d/a. I would hazard a guess that the car in the article has more potential with nothing but added seat time. That and some long tubes and more gear would make a great follow up article, but, they have probably moved on given it was 2008.

OP, you seem so set on the E cam... when you go through with this project do yourself a favour and get a hold of Buddy Rawls... custom cam guru that simply loves/works with stock, super stock and stock eliminator stuff... aka tiny factory iron heads making power. He has done 2 cams for me on E7 setups. First was a very street friendly stick that made 292rwhp using stock lifters, then a little more radical one making 336rwhp... not stock lifters.
I've always maintained that the cam is the brain of the engine, get that right and the rest will fall in place.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a good read. When I went 12's I had the factory original suspension, and zero weight removal. I did have long tube headers tho... and was running in 2600' d/a. I would hazard a guess that the car in the article has more potential with nothing but added seat time. That and some long tubes and more gear would make a great follow up article, but, they have probably moved on given it was 2008.

OP, you seem so set on the E cam... when you go through with this project do yourself a favour and get a hold of Buddy Rawls... custom cam guru that simply loves/works with stock, super stock and stock eliminator stuff... aka tiny factory iron heads making power. He has done 2 cams for me on E7 setups. First was a very street friendly stick that made 292rwhp using stock lifters, then a little more radical one making 336rwhp... not stock lifters.
I've always maintained that the cam is the brain of the engine, get that right and the rest will fall in place.

How street friendly is your car with the way you have it setup today?

Some unexpected costs have come up with other things going on... So this fall/winter when the motor comes out, what I may end up doing for now is just porting the stock heads a bit, keeping the stock cam, upgrading valve springs(crane beehive maybe) and throwing 1.7 rr on it. Re seal/gasket the engine and put it back together. Throw 3.55 or 3.73 gears and just hang tight with that...
I actually have been noticing it's pulling harder now since the full header back exhaust upgrade. The day I put it on wasn't too much of a different feel(other than the amazing sound) but I feel like over the week or driving it and a few hard pulls here and there, now it deff feels much more responsive and mean sounding as well as showing more torque.

Side question, friend drivin behind me noticed white ish smoke coming from the tailpipes during deceleration down hill, and other random times.(not all the time)... Does that have something to do with the o/r h pipe??? No smell of antifreeze or ntn like that(that was my first thought)

Could be condensation. Check your oil for water though and the radiator level. And it could be running slightly lean. Put 93 octane in it and see if it still does it. What's your timing set at? Any other symptoms? Runs fine?

Could be condensation. Check your oil for water though and the radiator level. And it could be running slightly lean. Put 93 octane in it and see if it still does it. What's your timing set at? Any other symptoms? Runs fine?
Runs absolutely fine, sounds great(motor, not just exhaust), timing is at 13 currently 87 octane fuel. Rad level is fine and spare tank is fine(hasn't moved) and I checked the dipstick, no bubbles. Hmm lean? Seems to be running rich, anyone who drives behind me smells gasoline lol

It can be tricky to determine smoke color sometimes. If it is running good and isn't overheating, keep driving and watch the coolant and oil level closely. If it isn't condensation something has to be burning. Non factory exhaust (no converter) systems will blow some condensation until warmed up, and it can be weather dependent.

Since the motor is coming apart this winter, you can throw some valve stem seals and rings in it. Doesn't always work, but it isn't expensive and worth a shot if the motor is partially disassembled anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it has been said but I will say it again......
For less than the cost of that exhaust you just installed you can go the the local you pull it and grab an explorer top end....... 25hp or more easy.
The tb can be modded to work for the foxbody. It is 65mm and flows way more than enough to feed the engine...
If you are interested in 1.7rr pm me I have 2 sets I'm willing to let go of cheap. Both are Ford one set is for parts.