What would you do?

5ive.oh

Founding Member
Feb 23, 2001
Rocky Mountain House, AB
So this fellow buys a older mustang. Turns out it was never registered here and needs an inspection done. I look at the car and immediatly spot whats wrong. It's a 1970 Mach 1 convertable, do I tell the guy or not? Our service manager says not too but I think that's wrong. I ran the vin and nothing matches up in the car. The guy paid a lot of money for it, and the floorpan on the driverside has a huge hole that runs the length of it to the seat bolts and we can't pass the inspection. The fellow really believes it's an original mach 1.

• Sponsors (?)

I hated not telling him. He asked me to find him a mirror for the passenger side. While I was looking one up he told me "Make sure it's for a mach 1 and not a regular mustang." I felt like crap for not mentioning it to him. It's an alright looking car, but for what he paid, no way. Here's the ad:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=17174473

It has the mach 1 trim on the bottom of the car, a 351 4v motor. The door tag is off a different car, and the vin lists a different engine. The rear window is missing and needs to be replaced along with the radio, power antenna (which they never came with), rear brakes, axle seals, backup lights, and other stuff I'm sure I missed. I feel real bad for the guy.

I know, but maybe he does know and he thinks he can impress everyone who doesn't with his vert mach 1. It is nice but not 22g's nice. you need to see it up close. The back valance is wrinkled, hood has 428 decals on it, accelerator pump is broken on te carb, door panels are real rough, I could keep going but you get the picture.

hell i would sell him an original REAL 69 GT coupe for that much. in fact that's my target number when i finally get mine done and go to sell it. it's a lot for a coupe i know, but it is a real GT M code 351, automatic, ac, PDB, vinyl top, console and it will a new deluxe interior. besides the rebuilt engine, trans, front and rear suspension and pretty much everything restored, repaired or replaced. hell i've got closer to 30k in the car but i'd never really planned on selling it until now. it's going to get new wheels soon too as soon as i decide which ones i want to put on it, either 15" torg thrust II's or 15" 69 GT wheels. i'm leaning towards the GT's though.

68keyblr said:
So why does he think it's a Mach I? The ad doesn't list it as such.

It has the rocker trim with "Mach 1" in huge letters. If it had "GT500" on the rocker he probably would have paid even more.

So long as the dash plate VIN matches the paper work he should be alright. The door and a pile of other parts probably just came off another car. Cleaned up it will be a nice car, just not a $22,000 car.

krash kendall said:
It has the rocker trim with "Mach 1" in huge letters. If it had "GT500" on the rocker he probably would have paid even more.

Dang, you have better eyes than me! :D

Poor guy is a noob that wanted to get into Mustanging. He'll learn about clones albeit the "Hard Way". I guess in this case it's more of a hybrid