02 GT 4.6 2V bad idle, popping exhaust, rich smell on take off??

darkhunter06

Mar 18, 2019
SEMO
I'm having some issues with my 02 gt. I'm having a small hesitatuon when I lightly accelerate but runs okay when you got WOT. I have a choppy idle with a backfire/pop in the exhaust but not the intake. I feel like I just don't have the power I should. I also smell raw gas when I take off and the windows are down.
I have 150xxx miles. Recently switched to full synthetic. New motorcraft plugs at .054. New front 02s from American muscle. Mill eliminators on rear o2s. Crappy eBay Cai with spectral filter. It's dirty. I've cleaned the maf and throttle body. I do have crappy SR performance could from PO. One clip is on my coil is loose but not super loose. Just wiggles a little. No check engine codes or light is on. ,
Any input?

• Sponsors (?)

For starters Let's confirm that the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) intake vacuum reference line is connected and leak free. Inspect the line for any raw gas.

One possible cause of exhaust backfiring is timing related. What's one possible cause of timing problems? Unstable cam sensor signal. What's one "possible" cause for an unstable cam signal? How about a bad alternator diode causing excessive AC ripple?

Here's some more information:

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Other "possible" causes for unstable timing (but not limited to):
  • excessive timing chain wear
  • out of time (slipped?).
  • loose or damage crank damper.
  • loose or damaged CKP sensor.
  • Excessive fuel for example incorrect fuel injector, stuck partially open, clogged or other "issue".
  • Bad O2 sensors (stuck lean).
  • MAF flow in error (over stating). Recommend to clean with MAF cleaner.
What happens if the MAF sensor is disconnected?

Here's some more information on an advanced affordable ODB2 scanner. It would be real handy to know what the long term fuel trims (LTFT) are.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Last edited:
Check for moisture in the spark plug wells. They tend to accumulate moisture after the boot is pulled or if you have a coolant leak from the heater hose to intake manifold hose. I've had to blow out the wells and clean the plugs a few times. Other than that same problem has been from oxygen sensors. Even new ones can get fouled up nicely so check the voltage with a scan tool.