04 Mustang leak

Laupro

Jan 9, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Hi there,

There seems to be a leak with my 2004 Ford mustang V6 3.9L. I recently brought it in for an oil change and the mechanic (new to me) pointed it out ... I only find it weird be I had it checked out by Les Schwab less than a week earlier and I feel as though they would of mentioned this obvious leak.

Any one have any suggestions on what might be causing it. I took pictures of the leaks on the ground as well. Which only appeared in my garage after going into the shop. I rinsed off the bottom of my vehicle to see if it continues and and going to check all fluid levels.

Screenshot_20220109-144725_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-144627_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-144627_Samsung Internet.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220109-144647_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-144647_Samsung Internet.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220109-144702_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-144702_Samsung Internet.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220109_125329.jpg
    20220109_125329.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220109_125326.jpg
    20220109_125326.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Sponsors (?)

The green on the bottom is coolant.

The other stuff appears to be coolant mixed with oil. Does it taste/smell sweet?

Check your oil dipstick for water or coolant. Check your radiator for oil.

Let us know what you find.

I am the naturally suspicious type but I'll save my guesses for a little more info.

On a side note: Check your plugs for any signs of detonation.

Clean it up first then see if you can tell where it's coming from. Some engine degreaser and a good spray with a water hose. Just don't spray front the top of the engine to keep plugs and stuff dry.

Reactions: 1 user
The green on the bottom is coolant.

The other stuff appears to be coolant mixed with oil. Does it taste/smell sweet?

Check your oil dipstick for water or coolant. Check your radiator for oil.

Let us know what you find.

I am the naturally suspicious type but I'll save my guesses for a little more info.

On a side note: Check your plugs for any signs of detonation.
Transmission mount oil saturation only looks green in the photo. Had a second shop check it out and suggested I replace it bc the transmission mount blushing is failing.

Sorry but not tasting any fluids from my car . Rinsed off the bottom and haven't had any more leaks since. Feel like ford dealership spilled something and possibly caused the "leak".

Checked all my fluids, all within range (oil was maybe a bit high, I'll check again today), and no off colors.

I suspect for the oil leak, I would bet it's the rear oil pan seal that's saturating the bottom part of car. I was told awhile back I had a slight leak can't remember quite where, I'll ask when I see him.... Older oil would block that, so going to put a leak additive in.

Don't know if I mentioned earlier but Ford also said I needed new tie rods and ball joints on 3/4 tires. Les Schwab checked today and said front drive side has very slight movement but nothing to change now and recheck at 5k tire rotation.

Didn't check spark plus but should be good as I had them replaced in June 2021 when I got a new ignition coil.

Transmission mount oil saturation only looks green in the photo. Had a second shop check it out and suggested I replace it bc the transmission mount blushing is failing.

Sorry but not tasting any fluids from my car . Rinsed off the bottom and haven't had any more leaks since. Feel like ford dealership spilled something and possibly caused the "leak".

Checked all my fluids, all within range (oil was maybe a bit high, I'll check again today), and no off colors.

I suspect for the oil leak, I would bet it's the rear oil pan seal that's saturating the bottom part of car. I was told awhile back I had a slight leak can't remember quite where, I'll ask when I see him.... Older oil would block that, so going to put a leak additive in.

Don't know if I mentioned earlier but Ford also said I needed new tie rods and ball joints on 3/4 tires. Les Schwab checked today and said front drive side has very slight movement but nothing to change now and recheck at 5k tire rotation.

Didn't check spark plus but should be good as I had them replaced in June 2021 when I got a new ignition coil.
The source of the leak was discovered. It was a Value cover gasket on both the driver and passenger side that was causing the leak. Both were pancakes.

I hope that helps anyone that has a similar issue.

Reactions: 1 users