09 reverse lights stay on

09GTCS

Jun 8, 2009
I just bought a new 09 GTCS.

2 weeks ago (739 miles on it) I ran over something on the interstate at night and cut a tire. It also knocked the rear bumper cover loose on the drivers side.

I got a new tire and reattached the bumper cover. It has minor damage but not much. (still hurts though!)

Now I notice the reverse lights stay on almost all the time. When they are on (and not supposed to be), the cruise control doesnt work. When they do go out while driving, the cruise works fine.

I took the back panel in the trunk out to check for loose wires. Nothing made the lights go out. I shook and knocked around under the car but the lights stayed on.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought a new 09 GTCS.

2 weeks ago (739 miles on it) I ran over something on the interstate at night and cut a tire. It also knocked the rear bumper cover loose on the drivers side.

I got a new tire and reattached the bumper cover. It has minor damage but not much. (still hurts though!)

Now I notice the reverse lights stay on almost all the time. When they are on (and not supposed to be), the cruise control doesnt work. When they do go out while driving, the cruise works fine.

I took the back panel in the trunk out to check for loose wires. Nothing made the lights go out. I shook and knocked around under the car but the lights stayed on.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Well... 2 things you should do...

I'd recommend basically reseting the electric system... With the car off, take apart the trunk again (I've done it around 10 times trying to get my sequentials working... I know, its a pain :( ) and disconnect the tail lights from the main harness. Plug them back in, then turn the car on. That's what I'd try first. If that doesn't work, then disconnect the battery and leave it disconnect for over 30 minutes. Plug it back in, start her up, then see if the problems still there. If it is... See #2! I'd try the first part again after reseting the battery before going to step #2 though.

Go to FORD! They have the knowledge to easily fix the problem, and with your car being an '09, you have full warranty! But only go there after trying #1.

Good luck! :nice:

+1 on the sticking reverse light switch. I believe the reverse light circuit disengages cruise so it can not engage when in reverse.

This is what I was thinking as well. Normally, I think the Reverse Switch is mounted in the tranny. So when you drove over that thing you hit in the road, perhaps something got disconnected, partially disconnected, or broken, at the switch, on the transmission. Something else you could check.

Important when reconnecting the battery

Well... 2 things you should do...

I'd recommend basically reseting the electric system... With the car off, take apart the trunk again (I've done it around 10 times trying to get my sequentials working... I know, its a pain :( ) and disconnect the tail lights from the main harness. Plug them back in, then turn the car on. That's what I'd try first. If that doesn't work, then disconnect the battery and leave it disconnect for over 30 minutes. Plug it back in, start her up, then see if the problems still there. If it is... See #2! I'd try the first part again after reseting the battery before going to step #2 though.

Go to FORD! They have the knowledge to easily fix the problem, and with your car being an '09, you have full warranty! But only go there after trying #1.

Good luck! :nice:

PLEASE NOTE WHEN YOU DISCONNECT THE MUSTANG BATTERY ...THE ALARM WILL NOT GO OFF WHEN YOU RECONNECT IT. I have similar problems...I have an 06 GT....cruise works from time to time and the reverse lights stay on...I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 30 mins. After reconnecting, the alarm wouldnt shut off. The only way to do it is...when the alarm is going off,put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position.... look underneath the steering column at the red flashing light. Hold the reset button behind it and let go when the alarm shuts off. A total nightmare if you dont. The keyfob is useless and putting the key and locking and unlocking the door to reset the system doesnt help either....My reverse lights are still on after all this..Time to disconnect all the bulbs in the trunk.