10% ethanol in gas....?!

for as long as i can remember there has been ethanol in the gas here. i am in the Chicago suburbs and EVERY gas station you go to around here has the 10% blend. every gas pump has the warning sticker "this gasoline may contain up to 10% ethanol"

regular is 87 mid is 89 and premium is 93. good stuff if you have FI

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.e85refueling.com/ If there is an E85 station near you, you can find it using that website. Around here, E85 is steadily around 40 cents per gallon cheaper than 87.

You could make some wicked cheap high octane fuel mixing in some E85. As I said earlier, 20-30% is no problem at all. If you mix 87 octane with 30% E85, you get around 93 octane. Starting with 93 gasoline should give you 97 octane.

For those with a blower, the 97 will allow higher boost. How much fun would an extra 3lbs of boost be? :D

For those stuck running premium, how would you like to make 93 octane for LESS than the price of 87?

As I said, 30% and less is perfectly safe and the computer will compensate perfectly. I've run 30% before and even put my wideband on to see the actual air fuel ratios. They are exactly the same and crappy as when I'm running streight 87 octane (13.5:1 in the mid range, dipping to 12:1 by 5000rpm)

Cool, thanks for that.

The closest E85 station is probaly 45-50 miles away from here according to that. Not close enough to justify the drive to mix the two together...:(

i lost mileage with 10% stuff...

1st time i filled up i didnt even notice the 10% sticker, drove that week and thought that my MPG was sucking, went back to the same station to fill up and seen the 10% sign. went to a diff station after that and MPG has returned :shrug: