10 sec street car

tyler6788

Jun 25, 2019
NY
Hey everyone, a little new here so I’m not sure if I’m in the right place... right now I’m in the process of building a 67 mustang coupe.. not all that sure on the race weight right now because it’s getting some body work done to it but basically it will be a full interior car, I’m getting a Detroit speed mini tub kit (able to run 315-355 tires in the back) with full suspension, frame ties, a ford 9” (still unsure of gears at the moment, thinking 4.10s) but my goal is low 10s with this car wile still being streetable AND N/A... right now I’m looking at a monster c4 or c6 tranny (still undecided)... I’ve got a dart 351w block and and am planning a 427 stroker for it with AFR 220 heads (competition ported, flowing 326 @ .700”) a custom cam and a ported victor jr intake with an 870 carb... my engine builder is telling me to go with a hydraulic roller for reliability but I’ve heard you can make more power with mechanical solid lifter or even mechanical solid roller... anyways I know I haven’t given too much detail but can anyone tell me if I can run low 10s with this set up or what I need to do I order to get there?

• Sponsors (?)

ok first unless you are going to run in a "run it like you brung it" class, you first need to decide what class you intend to run in. 10s, oddly enough these days, isnt that hard, but you need to go over the rule book with a fine tooth comb so you know what you need to build, what weight you need to run, etc. to be class legal. C/street hot rod sounds like a nice class for you to run, but remember two things here;

1: weight is the enemy

2: every class has their own weight breaks, IE your car has to weight, with driver, a certain number of lbs per cubic inch of engine displacement. as i recall C/street hot rod was 5lbs per cubic inch. so at 5lbs per ci, with a 427ci engine your car would need to weight in at, with driver, 2135lbs. go to a 408ci engine, and your car only need to weight in at 2040lbs, a weight savings of 95lbs. and that is a huge amount since the power difference between a 427 and a 408 ci engine built the same is very little. weight is just as important as horsepower.

as for running tens, you will need around 500hp to get there, but since you want a streetible car as well, the 408 will serve you better in the long run.

one more thing to decide on what class you are going to run in, and studying the rules carefully, it that some things you might want on the car are illegal in the class.