1964 1/2 Mustang Fuel pump issue

tc5244

Oct 20, 2010
We have completely rebuilt the original 6 cylinder engine and it runs well but there is an annoying noise coming from the fuel pump when the car idles, kind of clanking. The noise is coming from the fuel pump, we replaced it twice but the same issue remains. If one holds the fuel line to the pump the same throbbing can be felt. When the engine is in gear and using fuel the noise is gone but as soon as it idles it begins again. The fuel pump is an off the shelf replacement part from Auto Zone that does not have the canister type filter, we put in an inline filter to make up for this. Would I have better luck with an original type canister fuel pump? Is this issue something worse than just a noisy pump? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like the arm is being hit by the cam unit or the cam unit being loose on the cam. I would pull the timing chain cover to make sure tings are correct, both tight and the proper parts.

It should not make any difference which pump you use, as long as it is for that engine.

I believe you have this view under the timing chain cover....
q=tbn:ANd9GcTNaDlCp1bQnGRiHhng8jYrk4emVPgMe2RbKmsbeJd9VSGpCGk&t=1&usg=___IN7HPYvO60xktOlVURZypSayWQ=

The fuel pump arm rides on the odd looking cup on the top gear. If it does not ride on that eccentric all the time, it will make the noise you describe.