1965 Convertible Driving Me Crazy

Bullitt09

Sep 5, 2018
new york
1965 289 V8 convertible idles great sputters and stalls after leaving the driveway - after a minute or two re-starts and limps back to driveway.

Replaced carb (2bbl) , ignition switch, coil, alternator, plugs/wires, new petronix, gas tank, solenoid and bolted back on new mechanical fuel pump - I left the electric pump in place to act as a booster with kill switch in case mechanical pump fails. The old aftermarket fuel pump makes noise as it primes when ignition is put to on position and fuel gauge slowly moves after waiting 30 seconds fuel line and carb primed and engine fires up and idles fine. Once on the road it will sputter and stall, but usually restarts after a minute or two. I think it is a fuel issue, but tied to wiring of old electric fuel pump which is connected to accessory on fuse box. My back up lights and turn signal indicator on dash panel do not work and I think this is tied to pump wired into that shared fuse panel. I thought the new mechanical fuel pump would solve issue, but car stalled in idle with electric pump switched to off. I'm running out of ideas could this be a blocked line and gas filter or is this an electric issue or both? Car idles and sounds great in my garage not so much on the road.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the first thing to start with is, do you have the electric pump on the same fuel line as the mechanical pump?
If so I think you will have issues getting fuel to the mechanical pump when you kill the electric pump. The mechanical pumps don't have a lot of suction power so I think they would really struggle to suck fuel thru the impeller of the electric pump.
Next check that you don't have a vapor lock issue by checking all your fuel lines to make sure they aren't near exhaust or laying on the intake or block where they can get real hot.
Then check or change any filters you have for clogging. a car that old can have some gung built up in the fuel lines.

Thanks for the response I am thinking of taking the electric pump off line and replacing the filter it uses by the tank with a new one. Probably will install pressure gauge in the line as well. The mechanical pump I installed is a Carter 409 it should be able to fuel my stock 2bbl carb without help.