Suspension 1965 Front Control Arms

Hey everyone,

While I am waiting on my DMM for the 1989 Mustang (hopefully get it later today or tomorrow morning), I figured I would ask another question, but this time regarding my 1965. I am familiar with the suspension upgrades for the Fox Bodies, and also for these early cars, but was hoping to get some first-hand feedback on the control arm/bushings. Yes, I know Open Track Racing, and a few other companies out there, make the top of the line for auto cross and drag racing, but that is a bit out of the budget for now.

I may end up going with the OTR roller spring perches, but not the upper or lower control arms. So, my question is regarding these...would you recommend keeping the factory arms and installing new bushings? If so, factory rubber or urethane? If not, and it is more cost/time effective to just replace the factory arms, what would you/have you used with good results?

I have looked at the Scott Drake brand upper and lowers, and while they look nice, they seem to be a factory stock replacement. I have also been looking at the Dynacorn upper with the HD shaft, as well as the lower, with the HD reinforcement plate installed. Any suggestions on these, or another brand?

Attachments

• 959-2_mvyljptasjb3fllc.jpg
    959-2_mvyljptasjb3fllc.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

I would look for Moog control arms. USA made. Your nearby big box store may have them or can order them. Do the Arning drop and an alignment. you will be amazed how it changes your driving experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the factory style replacements have a reputation for being lower quality. Moog arms seem to be the desired replacement part, but difficult to find.

Definitely recommend the roller spring perches. They take so much bind out of your suspension.

What are your goals for the car?

If your original arms are damaged, consider rebuilding them with OpenTracker roller bearings. You retain the better quality of the older steel, with dramatically improved performance.

I'd also suggest talking to John at OpenTracker. He is a wealth of knowledge and can help you figure out best bang for your budget.

Reactions: 1 user
So, back at the search for the ball joints/steering parts. I have looked at the Moog parts, as well as spoken to John at OpenTracker. I will be going with the roller spring perches, as well as the roller idler arm.

When searching for the ball joints and tie rod ends, I have found some parts made by Moog, but not every part needed. What I did find (from many different suppliers) are the ACP - All Classic Parts brand. I have purchased some parts made by ACP, including their Max-Core radiator and a new center console, which both seem to be made very well. Has anyone had any luck with the ACP brand of control arms/ball joints/tie rods? I could go with the Moog ball joints, but it would be nice to have a complete set from one manufacturer.

Any thoughts or first-hand user information?