1965 Mustang Need Advice

LinoG

Dec 24, 2017
Hey so i'm new here and was getting some help earlier on my engine but still need some advice.
my 1965 mustang has a 289 4 speed in it. I want it louder (maybe put a cam) and need more hp. i was thinking 5 speed should help.
should i stay with my 289 and how can i get more out of the motor, and should i go automatic?

what's the biggest motor i can fit in it? Or should i look for a fuel injection with tranny out of what?

Help,,

• Sponsors (?)

we really need more information about what you want from this car. for instance is it going to be a daily driver, a week end warrior, a race car. what are your plans for the car.

example, my 66 mustang, when i get some money and energy to build it, is going to be a back up driver/toy thus i can build it to be less compromising than i would for a real daily driver. i can run a little more cam, i can run a carb, and deeper rear gears than i normally would. however i still need to make a few compromises, like i need at least a semblance of fuel economy, and i still need reliability as well as fairly decent driveability. so wild cams, huge carbs, and 4.30 or deeper gears are out, even with an overdrive transmission.

one more thing, louder is not always better. at some point you are going to take this car on a trip, and the droning of the exhaust is going to wear on you after a time, and it will beat you down. trust me this is the voice of experience talking. so choose your parts wisely.