1966 289V8 timing/bent push rods?

IndyGo

Nov 14, 2018
Tucson, AZ
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum, and I'm looking for some input on my project: I've restored a 1966 coupe, 289 4bbl. I had the engine running smooth after the restoration, but it was running a little hot, so I decided to upgrade the cooling system: aluminum radiator and new water pump, and I decided to add an Edelbrock aluminum intake as well. When I started back up, the engine really over-revved (I discovered I had the carb linkage wrong after re-install), so it ran wide open very briefly. I shut off right away, but haven't been able to get smooth running since. After timing and re-timing with no success, I'm wondering if i've bent pushrods. I'm not a trained mechanic, but have managed to do this whole restoration mainly on my own. Does anyone recommend just pulling out pushrods and inspecting, or perhaps something else first? Any chance I've damaged valves?

• Sponsors (?)

If you think you bent one, pull the valve covers off and rotate the pushrods between your thumb and forefinger (with the engine stopped of course) and see. If they are badly bent, they can fall out, but either way, you'll easily spot a bent one.

If you think you bent one, pull the valve covers off and rotate the pushrods between your thumb and forefinger (with the engine stopped of course) and see. If they are badly bent, they can fall out, but either way, you'll easily spot a bent one.
Hey, thanks a lot. I was kinda bummed I hadn't really gotten any responses to help with this. Since the first post, I removed the rocker arms on one side of the engine, pulled the push rods and inspected them - none bent. So, now I've got to adjust all those valves before I continue. Do you have a recommendation on the process for dialing in the valves?

Yes I do. There's two schools of thought on this: one is to bump the starter (pull the coil wire to keep it from accidentally starting) until the valve is closed. With the pushrod in place, once it's down as far as it will go, the valve is all the way closed. Tighten the nut on the rocker until all the lash is out (wiggle the pushrod while tightening the nut) once you feel it start to be hard to turn, then tighten the nut about 1/2 turn and call it good. You can also do this with the engine running, by backing off the nut until it clatters, then tighten it until it's quiet then another 1/2 turn. Either way works, buy one is messier.

indygo, when you inspected the push rods, did you just look at them, or did you roll them over a flat piece of glass? it doesnt take much of a bend to cause the issue you have, and those bends can be quite imperceptible.