1966 coupe problems/concerns - any advice please?

creedog

Nov 15, 2003
I am looking at a 1966 coupe for sale. Some concerns I have regarding the car.

1. Steering is very loose - owner mentioned the steering box does not need to be replaced but there is a bolt located on it that I would be able to tighten down which should take away some of the looseness of the steering wheel. Is this true or am I looking at getting a new steering box? The car does not have power steering.

2. The A/C clutch is bad - states this is not a major concern and once that is replaced the A/C should work. He states the fan works and the system is able to hold a charge. Does this make sense?

3. Not really a problem but the car only has lap belts of course. I want to install a shoulder system for the front and rear so my wife and two younger kids can ride in it and be somewhat safer. What systems are available, work well on a safety level, and how hard are they to install?

That is a start and my thanks for any advice someone can offer.

• Sponsors (?)

I am looking at a 1966 coupe for sale. Some concerns I have regarding the car.

1. Steering is very loose - owner mentioned the steering box does not need to be replaced but there is a bolt located on it that I would be able to tighten down which should take away some of the looseness of the steering wheel. Is this true or am I looking at getting a new steering box? The car does not have power steering.

do yourself a big favor and replace the steering box. either with a new one, or a rebuilt one if you are pinching pennies. rebuilt ones can be had for less than $200, and new ones for about $500. you can certainly try adjusting the current box, but you need to be careful if you. too tight and the car becomes are to steer. too loose and it becomes hard to keep in any kind of a straight line.

2. The A/C clutch is bad - states this is not a major concern and once that is replaced the A/C should work. He states the fan works and the system is able to hold a charge. Does this make sense?

yes it does make sense. the compressor clutch is the hardest working part of the system as it cycles on and off constantly while the a/c is on.

3. Not really a problem but the car only has lap belts of course. I want to install a shoulder system for the front and rear so my wife and two younger kids can ride in it and be somewhat safer. What systems are available, work well on a safety level, and how hard are they to install?

That is a start and my thanks for any advice someone can offer.

you can add 3 point belts to your mustang, in fact there are a number of mustang parts suppliers that carry kits to do just that. they are not hard to install and they work as well as 3 point belts from cars through the late 80's, so they are safe to use.

You must follow the gearbox adjusting procedure very carefully. This will usually make it much better, it's likely it has never been properly adjusted. Careful, though, simply tightening that screw can destroy your gearbox. Follow the manual.

Not to jump in on your post but i am looking at a 66 too.

He said the following:

1. NO AC---> Easy or hard to install ac in 66?

2. Missing doughnut gasket between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe? can you just buy that piece or replace with new exhaust?

3. front fend when viewed is wavy. he claims never been in accident? What else could be cause of this wavy?

4. Missing neutral safety switch. can start vehicle no matter if you are in parking, drive, reverse, neutral? Is it expensive to fix this? Has anyone heard of of this?

5. Rear quarters had bondo in it. Curren owner claims he has the car for 12 years and bought the vehicle with bondo in it. He has never had any issues wit it bubbling. paint still looks good.
Is this something to be worry about?

Creedog, Once again, sorry to steal your thread. I figure since you made one instead of me trying to create another one, I would just piggy back off yours.

Thank you in advance.