Progress Thread 1967 Fastback Project

OK so finished up day 3 of the assembly process. Goal was to get the engine, transmission, rear axle, suspension, steering and wheels on.

Everything went smooth and fast until the rear transmission bracket. I am installing a TKO600 low profile version from Modern Driveline. I am overall pleased with the product fit. The only issue was the transmission cross member bracket they made did not fit well at all. I ended up cutting and re-welding the bracket to fit. The bracket did not go back far enough by one inch.

The transmission fit in the middle of the shifter hole and I did not have to trim anything from the transmission tunnel. I have 1/2 inch clearance from the top of the transmission to the tunnel brace.

First day went fast. Unpacked all the boxes of parts I have accumulated. I used all new AMK bolts/fasteners specific/correct for early 67 mustang. I also used suspension components from grab a trak - Mustangs plus - medium firmness. Engine has aluminum top end - I painted the heads for a more stock look.

Engine has a comp cam, stock rods/crank, edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. I used 1968 CJ exhaust manifolds mostly for stock look and ease in fitting the engine into a tight engine bay - which worked out well.

Rear axle is a 3.5 posi track with new 31 spline axles and all new brake internals.

Front is a new stock power disc brake setup.

Steering gear box rebuilt by Dan at Chokostang. I am going with an in the column electronic assist steering so I put a non-power steering set up in and used the old steering column for now - the interior has not been painted yet.

Wheels/tires are off an old project, I am eventually going with styled steels in a 15X7 configuration.

Now the car goes back to the restoration shop, they are almost ready to paint the hood, fenders, doors, decklid and other small parts. I will have them get those parts back on the car before I bring it home to work on getting her running and all the other stuff - interior, wiring, etc.

Day 1 (Monday) -Picked up car from the shop and transported to a friend's shop that has a lift. Installed front spindles, brakes, upper-lower control arms, coil springs, rear leaf springs, rear axle, strut rods and front sway bar.

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Installed steering gear box, fuel and brake lines, emergency brake cable, Engine, clutch and TKO 600 transmission - except the rear tranny bracket.

Day 3 (Wednesday - Today!) - cut the transmission bracket, refit it multiple times and then welded it up and reinstalled. Rechecked all bolts on everything to make sure they were tight. Installed numerous other small items and fasteners.

Here are a few of the highlight photos.

Day 1 after picking up the car - look familiar - same location I used when I took the car to be dipped for rust/paint as a bare shell. I am back to square one.
Painted_Bare_Shell_assembly_day_1.sized.jpg

Driver_side_spindle_assembly_day_1.sized.jpg

Rear_Axle_Back_View.sized.jpg

Rear_Axle_Front_View.sized.jpg

Engine_Bay_Interior_Driver_Side_View.sized.jpg

Underrside_engine_bay_view.sized.jpg

End of Day 1
Passenger_Front_View_Assembly_Day_1.sized.jpg

Day 2
390_Engine_install_1.sized.jpg

390_Engine_with_manifolds_1.sized.jpg

390_Engine_Install_Blankets.sized.jpg

390_Engine_Install_3.sized.jpg

390_Engine_Clutch_install.sized.jpg

390_Engine_Bell_Housing.sized.jpg

Transmission_Install_1.sized.jpg

End_of_Day_3_Assembly.sized.jpg

Just realized I forgot to take a photo of the shifter coming up through the transmission tunnel. Guess I was too tired to think about it tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Today was rechecking a few things, put the floor console in and it fit great with the shifter.

Then I took the car back to the paint shop, they are getting ready to paint the hood, fenders, doors, decklid, etc.

Here are the photos.

Transmission_rear.sized.jpg

Transmission_shift_lever_location.sized.jpg

Console_with_shifter.sized.jpe

Drove back home tonight and now back to working for a living. :smirk:

Hello Ryan,

Can I ask where you purchased the frame jig that is shown in your earlier pictures or if it's for sale now that your further along with your project ? I need one for my project and didn't want to have to build one. Thanks, Jim

Hey thanks for the replies. Works been busy so I have not been on here for a while.

I made and bought parts for the jig over the years. Mostly copied from accessible systems rotisserie sub frame.

https://www.accessiblesystems.com/subframe/twobeam.php

I have had second thoughts on selling it as I keep saying to my wife this is the last car restoration.

Where do you live, I am in the Kansas City area.

The transmission jack was made by a friend of mine that runs the local Ford garage from parts - he copied a unit he saw online. It worked great.

I will see him next week and ask more about it.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies. Works been busy so I have not been on here for a while.

I made and bought parts for the jig over the years. Mostly copied from accessible systems rotisserie sub frame.

https://www.accessiblesystems.com/subframe/twobeam.php

I have had second thoughts on selling it as I keep saying to my wife this is the last car restoration.

Where do you live, I am in the Kansas City area.

The transmission jack was made by a friend of mine that runs the local Ford garage from parts - he copied a unit he saw online. It worked great.

I will see him next week and ask more about it.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for the info and reply. I'm in Southern CA. If you have interest in selling, shoot me a figure including shipping to CA 92660. I have 3 of these '67 FB's that I need to conduct a fair amount of sheet metal replacement so it would work out good for me. Please let me know.

Thanks, Jim 949-370-8699

Here are the photos of the new rear quarter panels:
Driver_rear_quarter_new.sized.jpg

Pass_Rear_Quarter_New.sized.jpg

Tail_Light_panel_new.sized.jpg
do you still have the jig that you used on your 67 fastback? and if so could you E-mail me the size and measurments of the jig as I am very interested in making one, and with your help it would be alot easier to assemble than me getting my tape measure out. Thanks

I will get the measurements for you. Right now I am storing it at my dad's a couple hours away. I should be down there in a couple of weeks.

On the transmission lift, my friend copied it off an old one he had bought and modified it a little to fit his needs. If you need more photos I can dig them up and post them.

Here is a current photo of the color sanding and buffing. Photos don't do it justice. It looks 10 foot deep in person.

Buffing_pass_rear_quarter_email.sized.jpg

So I'm sitting on a plane researching 67 fastback quarter panel replacement and I see your first post. Needless to say...I went through all post. Totally stoked about what you have done thus far and looking forward to seeing the finished product. Not meaning to be too lengthy but this is very inspirational. I have a 67 fastback that i purchased (in pieces) in 1984 after totaling my first fastback with plans to use the good remaining parts from the total to the straight fastback over my summer break from college. after 32 years, finishing school, starting a business, getting married and having kids, my stang still sits 75% restored. I just started tearing it apart for a full re-restoration. Happy to say though, this mustang "frame" has only 67k on it and hasn't been registered since 1974 so is almost completely rust free. Looking forward to working hard this summer to finish before my oldest boy turns 16. Again, your post have been an inspiration. I look forward to the remaining post and hope I can connect with you as I push ahead. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the encouragement too! I am glad these posts have help you and hopefully others!
You should check some others on here too - Horse Sense has some great stuff that kept me going as well as a few others.

I got another photo of the transmission jack as requested and here is a better shot of the rear quarter. One more polish and the rear quarters should be done.

Transmission_lift_copy.sized.jpg

I finally got the hydrolic clutch problem figured out. The Modern Driveline clutch pedal linkage will ONLY work on a 1967 Mustang pedal. I did not realize it, but I had a 1968 clutch pedal on. Here is a photo of the difference, 67 is the lower pedal and 68 is the upper, more straight pedal.
The clutch pedal is normally several inches up closer to the driver than the brake pedal.
After I switched the pedals out, it all worked great.
THE CAR MOVED THE FIRST TIME ON ITS OWN AND STOPPED SINCE THE 70's!!!
67_TO_68_CLUTCH_PEDAL_DIFF.sized.jpg

Clutch_Pedal_posistion.sized.jpg

Driver_Rear_Quarter_Polished_3_2016.sized.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE APRIL 2016

So I got the EPAS Steering installed, broke down the A/C boxes and put them back together.
I used Classic Auto Air's new evaporator and condenser with more rows to improve efficiency. The photos of the A/C boxes coming apart, cleaning, fiberglass repair, and reassembly. I ended up going with a couple of used vacuum motors I had from other used boxes from my storage stash because on the new ones the rubber and didn't work as smoothly.

I want to complete the A/C assembly and test it prior to putting the fenders and hood on.

Should be getting the headliner and glass in soon. I had to remake one of the window track plastic guides - took some Lexan plastic, heated it with a torch and bent/ground it to shape.

EPAS_Steering_Column_1.sized.jpg

Mustang_Air_Conditioning_AC_1.sized.jpg

Mustang_air_conditioning_AC_2.sized.jpg

Mustang_air_conditioning_AC_3.sized.jpg

Mustang_air_conditioning_AC_4.sized.jpg

Mustang_air_conditioning_AC_5.sized.jpg

I had the door glass tracts silver cad plated with gold sealant because it won't be seen and it is the most corrosion resistant plating. Original was silver cad only.
window_tracks_mustang.sized.jpg

Here is a photo of my friend's Vintage Ford Service Tools. They come in handy for working on vintage automobiles.
FORD_service_tools.sized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user