1968 fastback, oil pressure, fuel and alternator gauges out, did these, what next?

phendyr

Aug 15, 2010
Hey all, so I greatly appreciate anyone's time to help troubleshoot this.

I recently pulled out the instrument cluster of my 68, and replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and installed a mini tach. Got everything back together, tested and lights work, tach works but the pressure, fuel and alternator gauges are dead.

After researching, I replaced the voltage regulator with a solid-state version, still no joy. I tried the voltage/light meter on the sending unit ground and got nothing (although I didn't test it after replacing the VR).

Any thoughts are welcome to get this resolved. It's been 3 years since it was road worthy and I was finally ready to get it on the road, this setback really bums me out lol.

Thanks again in advance for any input, snarky are otherwise lol.

Attachments

• 20220603_140149.jpg
    20220603_140149.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220603_140532.jpg
    20220603_140532.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems like we have a rash of 68 wiring issues on this forum. Here is one of the best, free, electrical and vacuum schematics I’ve found. You have a very common problem: you made a change and induced a new problem or, completely unrelated, you still have a problem. With all electrical issues, start from the beginning. You’ve somehow lost 12v. Changing the instrument panel voltage regulator seemed like the issue, but not this time. So, you’ve got to trace back through the diagram, where does it get 12v? I’m assuming you have a VOM to check. If you don’t, you’ll need to get one. It’s not likely you can find out what’s wrong without it. Work you way back to the source of the power to the regulator to discover what’s wrong.

Second, look at each of the connectors you unplugged to make the changes to see if any damage was done; look for cracked wire insulator and any cracks in the plugs themself. Also, using the diagrams, check the grounds; those can be just as a fault as the source power.

Do these things and then get back with us. You can figure this out. Steve