1968 J Code Engine Wanted

ILFC

Dec 1, 2016
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and wondered if anyone could help me out.

I am restoring a 68 fastback and just got my Marti report back. I knew the car was a j code, but just thought it was a base model. Turns out it is a GT with some decent options.

I was going to install a 289 I have in the garage but now I am thinking of finding a 302 J code to keep it as close to original as possible.

Let me know if you think its worth while searching for the j code, or should I just build the 289 and get some added performance to it.

If anyone has a lead let me know

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and wondered if anyone could help me out.

I am restoring a 68 fastback and just got my Marti report back. I knew the car was a j code, but just thought it was a base model. Turns out it is a GT with some decent options.

I was going to install a 289 I have in the garage but now I am thinking of finding a 302 J code to keep it as close to original as possible.

Let me know if you think its worth while searching for the j code, or should I just build the 289 and get some added performance to it.

If anyone has a lead let me know
this is a little late i have one for sale

Unless you are a concours resto guy, don’t waste your time. 289 vs 302 block - no difference to the naked eye. Build it up the way you want and let the horses run!