1968 mustang back up lights dont work

1968jcode

Aug 8, 2019
New york
Got a 68 coupe and the back up lights won't work, found wires cut at the back of rear valence. Bought new ones ond plugged in laying them in trunk to check before installing. Started car put in reverse with e brake on and checked and they didn't work.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a dangerous way to test them. You don't need to start the car, just put the tranny in reverse and turn the ignition on. So just fyi those need to be grounded so if you just layed them in the trunk then they wont get a good ground. install them or run a ground wire of them then see what you have.

Hi tos,
I have a similar issue a1968jcode had. New turn signal switch was added to fix horn. Fixed horn but had issues getting drivers directional to work.
I got that fixed. Had to put in neutral safety switch and back up lights because po swapped out tranny and didn't put them back in. Now
backup lights work fine but when I turn on right directional the backup lights flash at same time. It does not happen on left side. I ran
ground wires separately from just the backup lights to eliminate problem in brake light harness. Is there anywhere on the lower valance that
could be affecting the ground ? You mentioned unmounted lights would not work. New member. I hope I posted in an appropriate place.
Thanks.