1968 Mustang Floor Console Shift Indicator Light Adjustment?

NORVELLA

May 23, 2011
The shift indicator light on my 1968 floor console shows that the car is in neutral when put in drive. I have gotten car inspected with no problem for about 10 years now. The inspection stations now inforce having to have the light line up.
How does one adjust the indicator light? Does the entire console need to be removed. Can the shift indicator display be moved about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch via slots in the console base?
It's time for inspection again and I must get this done. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure the similarities, but if your 68 is like my 67 you will have to remove the console to get the bezel off. There are two screws underneath the little slide up door in the front and the rear has a stud with a speed nut on it you have to access from beneath the console to remove. I got wise to this last time and instead of installing that nut just put some silicone on it and laid a book on top of it over night. Now I just pull gently until the glue gives way if I need to make any tweaks. As 2+2 mentioned a bend of the tab ought to fix you up. I have problems with my light linkage binding and popping off, think im going to drill me a tiny hole and put me a little keeper pin in it.

Any state I have lived that inspects motor vehicles requires the indicator that tells what gear you are in to be functional. The high beam indicator light must also function. Here in PA if either of those itty-bitty bulbs is burnt out, the car will fail.

Any state I have lived that inspects motor vehicles requires the indicator that tells what gear you are in to be functional. The high beam indicator light must also function. Here in PA if either of those itty-bitty bulbs is burnt out, the car will fail.

wow...very much on point up there, here in Louisiana they don't even look at the car half the time...the last sticker I got the guy didnt even leave his office, he just signed the sticker, I signed the book, he took my 10 bucks and I stuck my own sticker on the car! However, they are welcome to check anything except my backup lights, my switch is bad and I haven't replaced it yet.

Wow.....That is the first time I have heard of that! I can see them wanting all the exterior lights to work, but I've never heard of ANY inspection on the inside of a car. Must be another advantage of living on the east coast. No inside inspections in Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado or Idaho.