Electrical 1969 Mach1 battery/electrical issues

Rb69mach1

Jun 6, 2018
Pdx
Looking for some help with a battery/electrical issue. My car sat all winter and when I went to start it up the positive battery terminal sparked and I lost all power. All the courtesy lights went out. The battery then would not accept a charge. It was pretty old so I decided to replace. I installed the new battery and the car started up briefly. I went to crank it over again and it was getting ready to start and then the battery sparked and everything went dark. This new battery also seems to be fried as it won’t take a charge. Any suggestions around how to test what might be causing this to happen? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

the spark indicates a bad connection, so I'm guessing you have a cable problem. have you tried to charge the battery disconnected from the car? What are you charging with? Does your charger actually work? The odds of you having 2 batteries that wont charge are pretty slim. Have you put a meter on it to see what you have for voltage, stagnant and cranking?

the spark indicates a bad connection, so I'm guessing you have a cable problem. have you tried to charge the battery disconnected from the car? What are you charging with? Does your charger actually work? The odds of you having 2 batteries that wont charge are pretty slim. Have you put a meter on it to see what you have for voltage, stagnant and cranking?

Ditto. Old cables will also corrode within the sheathing and will not carry the load to the starter. Charge the battery directly on the bare posts (disconnected) then put a meter to the battery and take a reading. my guess is bad/old cables or bad clamp on type terminals that you buy at the auto stores.