1970 Electrical Problem

Chuntley

Jul 19, 2017
Hey - I am new to stangnet and looking for some help. I have a 1970 mach1 with 351C 4v and auto trans.
car was running but after my latest 2 "repairs' the beast won't turn over and all power goes out - like a pulled the battery. Repairs: replaced the turn signal cam and replaced shifter bushings. Not sure if I messed something up in the steering column or NSS. I check both an everything seems to be ok but when I turn the key I get a click and then all lights go out. no courtesy lights under dash or door panel, no alternator light, head light won't turn on, no turn signals or hazard lights. If I unhook the negative battery cable and re-install, courtesy lights come back on, hazard lights work, head lights work again. If I turn the key - everything goes out again. any idea what I did? I think it must be related to my "repairs".

• Sponsors (?)

Hey - I am new to stangnet and looking for some help. I have a 1970 mach1 with 351C 4v and auto trans.
car was running but after my latest 2 "repairs' the beast won't turn over and all power goes out - like a pulled the battery. Repairs: replaced the turn signal cam and replaced shifter bushings. Not sure if I messed something up in the steering column or NSS. I check both an everything seems to be ok but when I turn the key I get a click and then all lights go out. no courtesy lights under dash or door panel, no alternator light, head light won't turn on, no turn signals or hazard lights. If I unhook the negative battery cable and re-install, courtesy lights come back on, hazard lights work, head lights work again. If I turn the key - everything goes out again. any idea what I did? I think it must be related to my "repairs".
@Chuntley
Clean the battery terminals and cable ends. Pull out the fuses feeding those loads you mention (lights, etc.). Check the battery state of charge, buy a Hydrometer, check each cell, there are 6. Any cell dead, buy a battery. The click you get suggests strongly corroded battery connections. imp