1971 Mustang Boss

bub

Mar 1, 2004
Hey guys

I recently had my dad buy me a 71 mustang boss small block ,its in great shape for its age (Or at least i think it is) Only payed 1100 dollars for it ...From What everyone says these cars are extremly expensive if its really what he says it is ...I looked at some pictures on the internet and i think its a coupe not a hatch back ... but anywayz i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these cars and if they are worth anything

• Sponsors (?)

they did have a boss in 71.... the boss 351, a 4v 351 cleveland setup that did very well
it was the last year of the bosses, and, arguably, the quickest
if it was had for $1100, then it's either in poor shape or a steal IMHO...
there were no hatch backs in 71, tho
check the vin.... and do some research...

You could try getting numbers off the block....and they did have a smallblock boss in 71 same as 69-70...the 351C is a smallblock...some features of the Boss 351 engine are a 4-bolt block, hardend nodular crankshaft, and forged steel rods with 3/8" bolts. Dual points distributor and aluminum intake. The heads were 4-v closed chambers that yielded some good compression and the heads are machined to accept stud mounted rocker arms. A fairly agressive solid lifter cam was employed as well which all came together for a potent little car. So it is a great deal if real and good running shape.

Thanx

Thanx i read what all of you wrote and honestly i have no idea ...Im getting ready to take it out to a mechanic im sure he can tell me what it is for sure hes a mustang freak...Ill post a picture of it when i have time ....But for now ill send you guys a picture of what it looks like

http://www.seriouswheels.com/images/a_1971_Ford_Mustang_Boss_351.jpg

The front of the car i bought looks the same only not as fixed up ....grill hood and everything..although it needs a new corner panel .........

bub said:
Thanx i read what all of you wrote and honestly i have no idea ...Im getting ready to take it out to a mechanic im sure he can tell me what it is for sure hes a mustang freak...Ill post a picture of it when i have time ....But for now ill send you guys a picture of what it looks like

http://www.seriouswheels.com/images/a_1971_Ford_Mustang_Boss_351.jpg

The front of the car i bought looks the same only not as fixed up ....grill hood and everything..although it needs a new corner panel .........

Yeah, but does the back look like that car. If you sit in the car, and can hardly see out the back window because it looks like a slit, and is mainly pointing towards the sky, it's a fastback. Give us the VIN number off the title and we can tell if its a Boss 351. They only made something like 1800 of those cars, so it would be kinda rare, it would also be a 4-speed.

http://www.boss351registry.com/

Yes

Yes the back looks like the car in your picture ..hopefully thats good ...Ill get my dad to let me look at the title tommorrow and ill post the vin number ..

thanx

golf4283 said:
I agree. The 351C was based off a big block platform IIRC.
Technically it is a 335 series engine but according to my Ford Motorsport catalog 289-302-351w-351c-351m-400 are all smallblocks.351c's share the same motor mounts,bellhousing pattern and cylinder head bolt pattern as a 289 or 302.

#1f01f194718

1=1971
f=Assembly plant, Dearborn, MI
01=2Dr. Hardtop
f=302 V8 2V

NOT a boss, but a good starting point for a fun car. If it's in good shape as you say then have fun with it. It seems as though it has the Mach 1 cosmetic options as well, which looks good on that car. Good luck with your new car.

-Alan D

Hey, dont get discouraged. Just cause it is not a Boss doesn't mean it can't run like one. And welcome to the Big body stang club.

First you gotta ask yourself a question.
Do you want to restore it to stock specs, not going to be as fast, especially if you want to run like a Boss, or Resto-Mod it, and have options as to what kind of performance you want? Sosme people believe in strict restoration while others like to change thigs up.

Second I need to let you know. Of all the classics the 71-73 are probably the hardest to find parts for, and they are going to be pricey. Depending on the condition of the car, expect to pay a good amount of money to restore it.

Any way here is some inspiration. This is a pic of some ones stang here on Stangnet. I cant remember who's but when I look at it, it encourages me to continue on my project.

Attachments

• Mean 71.jpg
    Mean 71.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 182
Thanks Stang 1973, that's actually my car. While I still have finishing work to do on her I do get a lot of compliments on the car. Right now it runs a well modded smallblock while a built 460 big block waits it turns on the engine stand.

...and have I mentioned nitrous? :D