• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

1971 Starting Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter woodsnake
  • Start date Start date Oct 15, 2017

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
Oct 15, 2017
#1
  • Oct 15, 2017
  • #1
I haven't stopped in here for a while, and a LOT has happened in my life since I was a regular visitor.
So here is my situation. I am back to work on my 71 Mustang 'sports roof'...I bought the car with no engine or trans. (over 5 years ago now.....) I took a 5.0 out of an 84 Ford F-150, and a good used C4 auto that was an extra, from somewhere...Anyway, I put a bunch of new parts on the engine while I had it between truck and mustang. New timing gear set, new oil pump and drive shaft, new 600 Holley, etc..The car was also missing the ignition key/lock and tumbler. So- I am now back to working on the mustang a little bit. The crux of my problem is that I get nothing, when I turn the key. So how to I check to make sure the switch is good at the bottom of the steering column? I think I have read that a drill bit, of a certain size will make sure neutral switch on trans is adjusted properly, but I don't recall what that drill bit diameter is?
Key to "start", rod engages switch, current to solenoid, then to starter motor, correct?
 
Reactions: Oldkckr41
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
207
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
W
I need a 1997 Mustang PATS A expert!
  • Wolfdogg
  • Friday at 10:41 PM
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
105
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Monday at 11:10 PM
Noobz347
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
175
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
250
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Saturday at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
B
Stuck
  • bshipley
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
111
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 28, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?