1980 mustang gauges problem

redstang80

Sep 21, 2008
hello all,

I have a 1980 mustang, 4 cylinder 2.3 liter automatic. The trouble started when I started the car one day and the gauges would not work. After checking all fuses and making sure the connections were tight, I pulled the wiring harness and found a few weak connections and fixed them. I put the harness back in and still no luck. I've tried replacing the printed wiring on the back of the cluster and replacing the voltage regulator on the instrument panel with no luck at all. I was wondering if there is something I should check to see what else is wrong or if there is something I'm missing.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You did about everything I would have done. Check your fusible links and make sure none are melted or damaged. Most are near the starter solenoid. Make sure when you start the car you are getting voltage to the cluster. I'm not sure which wires are which for a 1980. That is really odd that nothing at all would work. Some people have had weird electrical problems when their ignition switch on the column begins to fail or come loose. Worth checking that too. Oh, if you're not a member already, check out foureyedpride.com - Home It's basically the holy grail of 79-86 Mustang and Capri info. I have a membership over there. There are probably guys there that can better answer your question.