• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Electrical 1982 Mustang 5.0 Alternator wiring help NEEDED

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2000HeadlessGT
  • Start date Start date Oct 29, 2018
2

2000HeadlessGT

New Member
Feb 27, 2012
1
0
1
Oct 29, 2018
#1
  • Oct 29, 2018
  • #1
I have a 82 Mustang GT and for some reason the battery won't stay charged. I had the battery tested and replaced and its good, I also had the alternator tested and its good also.
I used a volt meter and with the car off the battery is 12v and when the car running the battery drops to 7 volts. Im pretty sure the wiring on the alternator is wrong. Can someone please show me how it should be wired up because from the looks of it its not charging the battery at all. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Also its the factory alternator.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,047
10,670
213
polk county florida
Oct 30, 2018
#2
  • Oct 30, 2018
  • #2
This may help, found it on foureyedpride, let us know.
 

02vertable

Member
Aug 7, 2018
50
3
8
Queen creek Arizona
Nov 15, 2018
#3
  • Nov 15, 2018
  • #3
2000HeadlessGT said:
I have a 82 Mustang GT and for some reason the battery won't stay charged. I had the battery tested and replaced and its good, I also had the alternator tested and its good also.
I used a volt meter and with the car off the battery is 12v and when the car running the battery drops to 7 volts. Im pretty sure the wiring on the alternator is wrong. Can someone please show me how it should be wired up because from the looks of it its not charging the battery at all. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Also its the factory alternator.
Click to expand...

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. The problem turned out to be the cluster, the battery light is part of the charging circuit, I pulled my cluster and the ribbons on the back of the cluster that go to the battery indicator lamp were a bit mangled, I managed to fix them and carefully reconnect the cluster. After that it worked fine. If you still have the problem it's worth checking the harnesses that connect to the alternator. Those go bad pretty easy.
 
R

Rcdgl

5 Year Member
Feb 19, 2018
313
168
63
Jan 1, 2019
#4
  • Jan 1, 2019
  • #4
x2 on the above, but if you have 12 v at the battery and less when running, that really sounds like the alternator. I had one fail where one of the three diodes died. 12 v off, 11.9 v running. Took a week to figure it out.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical Parasitic Draw, Fuse 8
  • N8827N
  • Sep 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
159
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
169
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
Electrical Ron Francis Headlight / Alternator Harness
  • dan50
  • Apr 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
278
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 30, 2026
dan50
A
Resolved Electrical Help Please
  • Alabama
  • Jan 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
332
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 22, 2026
AeroCoupe
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
309
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?