Electrical 1987 5.0 Hatchback, where’s this lil wire go?

Vulpes5.0

5 Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I have a black wire with purple stripes under the steering wheel, snipped and loose. I don’t see anywhere it belongs, and everything seems ok in the car. I have a rigged ignition (no key needed) if that helps. Any idea what it does?

Little unrelated tip- I had steering wheel up/down left/right play, the single bolt you see there was the issue. Remove the 2 plastic housings and use a 1/2 inch wrench to tighten it and the play is gone.

Attachments

• D32FBC1D-01A8-4F16-AD8F-13DFFFED06C2.jpeg
    D32FBC1D-01A8-4F16-AD8F-13DFFFED06C2.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Sponsors (?)

Does the chime sound when the key is in the ignition? If not, that's probably the wire for it. A simple way to find out would be to expose the wires and ground it to the steering column. The chime will go off if that's the wire for it.

Probably because the same module is used for key-in, seatbelt warning, and headlight warning. You lose all three if you just unplug it.
Who wants or needs any of that junk. They could have put the headlights on a relay so they are off when the ignition is off.
I think the only thing mandated is the seatbelt warning. At least it's not a '74 when the car wouldn't start until the seatbelt was buckled. The 1st time it went in for service, the mechanic disabled it.