Fox 1987 Charcoal Canister Test - Test off car

R82148V

May 26, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question. Is there a way to test the canister making sure nothing is clogged while its off the car?
I put vacuum to the connecting tab tad valves and I do see the plungers moving.. They also hold vacuum well.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would say if you can apply a small vacuum and it holds the canister is not cracked. The vac line coming out and going to the solenoid/plunger and then vac line to intake manifold. The electrical connector/solenoid just opens the valve to allow vapors into the intake manifold. The inlet side of the canister just comes from the fuel tank area, I don't think there is any valving or controls on that side.

Gotcha.. There is a small and large hose connection on the canister.. Just apply a little vac to the small end and see if it holds?
How would I know if its clogged or anything like that?

Thanks, Kruisr!

I am not sure if it would clog. I would expect you would smell gas fumes around the filler next area if canister not working or clogged. Really the canister shouldn't get clogged as the inlet is coming from tank (sealed line) and output is the vac line to engine. Unlike some canisters on other vehicles that are located behind rear wheels under the body, ours does not see the dirt and dust those units would.

Just make sure the line to the rear is in good shape, replace if needed. The solenoid works and the vac line is good to the intake. I actually had to replace part of the vac line to the intake as it had become brittle and cracked causing a vac leak.