Fuel 1988 mustang will only start on starter fluid

Hi I’m not sure I’m in the right place having trouble getting my 1988 mustang GT to start Iv changed all fuel Related parts fuel pump Regulator relay relay filter tps and much more the car was sitting for years wouldn’t start at all we can get it to start on starter fluid through the intake it will run great after that and stay running can turn it off and it will start on it’s own as much as I want with out starter fluid but if left over night the next morning it needs starter fluid to get it going again then the car runs fine Any ideas what I could be missing ? The very first crank of the new fuel pump the car did start on it’s own with out fluid but then never again would start with out the starter fluid it has good pressure at the Schrader valve Iv got injector pulse Iv replaced everything other then fuel tank or lines I hear the new AEM pump prime and I have around 39psi fuel pressure

• Sponsors (?)

My alternator wasn’t charging in my 1988 that has been sitting for years so I replaced it with a used on still nothing ? Possible I got a bad used one when I was told it was tested or could there be something else or away for me to test it before buying a new one the alternator is just stock took it out of a 91LX from a junk yard replaced with my stock one

Nothing works on the cluster at all?
tell us a little more about your car, the members here may be able to help you fix whats wrong with the one you have.
The rpm works and the voltage work the car had been sitting in a barn for 10 years I got the car for $700 not running the one in my pics with a bunch mods we put a fuel pump in and got to start and noticed only rpm and voltage work all the connectors in the back are tight Iv replaced the alternator still no go

Perfect place to be. Now in the tech/how to forum there is a cranks but no start checklist, read it over so you understand and have the tools for the different steps, sounds like you already have a jump on the problem. I'll even post a link
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...start-checklist-fuel-injected-mustangs.787471
Came here months ago and went over that form I have spark and I have fuel pressure very good thick white spark I jumped everything did all those tests everything checked out once running the car will stay running I don’t need to keep spraying starter fluid it runs under its own power and will start everytime if started once I replaced the pip the other day still no help same issue my fuel pump is a AEM 320gph if that matters someone had said maybe the pick up in the fuel tank ?

Check the wiring between the alternator and the dash for chewed up wires, rodents love to chew on wiring. Like I mentioned in a previous post, do the checklist and if you need wiring diagrams go to veryuseful.com

Check the wiring between the alternator and the dash for chewed up wires, rodents love to chew on wiring. Like I mentioned in a previous post, do the checklist and if you need wiring diagrams go to veryuseful.com
Ya I found a broke green and red wire that had been chewed I fixed it but it seemed to be the only one like I had mentioned I went over those check list most seem to check out that’s why I came to the form if it didn’t check out I replaced it or had it fixed only thing I haven’t tried is fusable link cause there’s like 5 all side by side and dunno witch one it would be and someone had said jump a wire from the alternator to battrey but not sure how safe that be

Ya I found a broke green and red wire that had been chewed I fixed it but it seemed to be the only one like I had mentioned I went over those check list most seem to check out that’s why I came to the form if it didn’t check out I replaced it or had it fixed only thing I haven’t tried is fusable link cause there’s like 5 all side by side and dunno witch one it would be and someone had said jump a wire from the alternator to battrey but not sure how safe that be
I had the hole dash out to paint and replace the heater core I removed it totally so I had lots of access to wires only found one there was other bad wiring from the previous owner I removed they had wire going from the wiper motor to the alternator to turn on the wipers I removed all that cause it looked ugly and wasn’t the right way but I can’t seem to find my issue I’ll check that list again tho thanks

Came here months ago and went over that form I have spark and I have fuel pressure very good thick white spark I jumped everything did all those tests everything checked out once running the car will stay running I don’t need to keep spraying starter fluid it runs under its own power and will start everytime if started once I replaced the pip the other day still no help same issue my fuel pump is a AEM 320gph if that matters someone had said maybe the pick up in the fuel tank ?
For a stock vehicle, the 320 lph is much too big. FPR won't be able to compensate during starting & idling, so fuel pressure will be too high.

Last edited:
@TylerB 1988 GT
I am the guy who wrote the checklists, so in one aspect, you are in luck.
However, there is a price for my assistance; You write entire paragraphs without a period

I am old and too lazy to try and decipher and decode what you wrote; it is too hard to read and correctly understand. Questions and answers to technical problems need to be written in a manner that clearly communicates what is happening. Therefore, go back and re-write your questions and statements with proper punctuation

Joe R.

Attachments

• peroid.gif
    peroid.gif
    860 bytes · Views: 232
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users