Engine 1989 GT transmission install linked to air intake?

jrzace

Aug 8, 2018
Hey guys. My transmission crapped out on me and im getting a new one installed. the shop I am getting to do the install says that the 70 mm cold air intake (filter in fender), 70 mm throttle body set up probably caused it and is hesitant to install a replacement for my AOD due to it. Says it all needs to be installed and set before driving it, but I thought you had to drive it to know what needs to be adjusted. Can someone help me understand the transmission/air intake relationship. ? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

So your saying this transmission shop who will be swapping a replacement transmission into your car claims the trans originally failed because of a filter, intake pipe and too large for a stockish motor? Honestly, I would be real hesitant on letting this shop touch anything on my car after accusations like that

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I am hesitant. He is saying that he wants me to take out the CAI and Throttle body and put the stock back in there so that he is not blamed if the transmission goes out due to it.

Yeah, I am hesitant. He is saying that he wants me to take out the CAI and Throttle body and put the stock back in there so that he is not blamed if the transmission goes out due to it.

I'm assuming you have a stock motor/car other then the filter, intake tube and 70mm throttlebody you mentioned. So i'll say you most likely gained little to nothing over stock power and that 70mm throttle body is more then likely costing you a little low end torque so if this guy says these modifications will cause a problem with his transmission build then you should probably find another shop because he's either not confident in his work or plans on giving you a pos. That's just my take on the situation given what info has been shared.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user