1990 5.0 Fuel Pump Will The Stock Pick Up Be Enough?

So heres an update with my build. I have the fuel system all mapped out expect for the fuel tank and pump. I have -8an inlet lines and -6 return lines, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and a fuel filter. I have a walbro 255lph in tank pump. My question is if i make adapters for it from the stock pickup to the -8an line will it work properly. Just worried about the hose size difference. Or should I just buckup and buy a new fuel cell or modify my tank and have an inline pump? I just want to hear if anyone has an opinion or experience with this. Im running large injectors 60lb but I have a mega squirt so I can adjust them. I know the -8an line is a bit much also but I want to future proof stuff because I dont think ill have my motor for very long. Also if its best to get an inline pump what pump should I get thats not super expensive?

• Sponsors (?)

How much HP do you plan to make? Will this be pressurized induction of some sort?

400-500 HP. This is a forced induction motor. I just pulled the fuel tank out today and was looking at the outlet line and it is pretty small. I am going to upgrade the fuel pump and outlet lines whether it been a new fuel tank pickup or new fuel cell. I checked out the pump I have and the outlet is very small. It doesnt seem like it leaves much room for future proofing or room for error. I could be wrong in all aspect. I am just not sure if that pump will be enough. Im just trying to do things right but not blow a bunch of money on it at the same time. I have been learning from my past mistakes.

I just spoke with a tecch at Aeromotive, I told him I was worried about the 5/16 hose size and fuel pump size for the tank pickup and feeding higher horsepower. He told me that its not the outlet size that is the problem its if you have a hose of 5/16 to the motor. It causes a great amount of friction loss. Going up in hose size helps reduce this and the pickup size and length does not have much affect on the flow rating since its so short. He also told me that having a -08an line right after could be an issue with cavitation and that if I were to use -08an line that I should use a gradual increase in hose size. He stated that -06an is plenty for 500-600 hp depending on the use.

Other than the need for a larger fuel pump, the stock Fox fuel system will support 400-500hp, no problem.

I have heard that. My problem was that the stock fuel rail hoses were dry rotted and the fuel hoses were in bad shape, also I needed a new fuel regulator that adjusted for boost pressure. I guess ill stick with an adapter to the stock pickup. I had returned my -08an lines for -06an lines and go from there. Hopefully this post helps someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard that. My problem was that the stock fuel rail hoses were dry rotted and the fuel hoses were in bad shape, also I needed a new fuel regulator that adjusted for boost pressure. I guess ill stick with an adapter to the stock pickup. I had returned my -08an lines for -06an lines and go from there. Hopefully this post helps someone else.
The crossover tubes? I replaced mine with efi hose and the appropriate efi clamps(not regular hose clamps) and it's been trouble free for 5 years.