Suspension 1990 LX wheelbase with new K member

Yamahasrx700

Mar 21, 2023
I picked up this project car and am finding things as I go. After market k member, dont know manufacturer. The wheel base is over 102 inches when factory was 100 inches. The front tire to wheel well is terrible. Less then an inch in the front and 3 to the rear. Could the 98 Cobra 5 lug spindles cause this? Help 20230409_123523.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

No the spindles have nothing to do with the front to back movement of the wheel location in wheel well. So depending on which aftermarket k-member it is they could have moved the front control arm mounting locations forward or they used offset control arms to move them forward (Maximum Motorsports does this).

Can you post up some pictures of the k-member as this will help someone on there identify what you have.

I am 99% sure that is a Granatelli Motorsports k-member. It moves the front tires 0.75" forward according to the installation instructions here:

file:///C:/Users/dbrune/AppData/Local/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/4a66c7fb-cf4c-4648-bd9d-6949b0f407fe/94c76e307ac203Ford%20Tubular%20K-Member%20-%201979-2004.pdf

And with that those are also Granatelli Motorsports A-arms.

file:///C:/Users/dbrune/AppData/Local/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/8d970ead-5346-4c25-bd4d-7007573c3c60/794c76e2e15bc0fFord%20Tubular%20A-Arms%20-%20Fox%20Body.pdf

So the reason I say its a Granatelli and not a Maximum Motorsports is that they basically ripped MM off on their design (well documented so if you are curious do a search). There are subtle differences between them such as MM puts their logo on the front of the main tube and inside the C channel between the a-arm mounts. Those can come off but mine are sill on after damn near 15 years so its not common. Also, the C channel has a slight cope to it on the bottom edge that the Granatelli does not. There are also some welding features that the Granatelli does not incorporate as well as the a-arms having red bushings and to my knowledge MM has never offered red bushings only white or black. A-arms should have a MM logo on the front of them between the bushing and the sway bar mount. Again these can come off buy mine are still there.

Biggest thing it is missing is the smaller tube below the main one which the k-member brace bolts into.

It's in the car so use it but I would go over it with a fine-tooth comb to make sure the welds are 100%.

You might be able to use maximum motorsports reverse offset arms to fix some of the problems, assuming the granatelli k member is made to take factory arms.

Personally i'd replace the entire thing while there is no engine in the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Man, if that's a GMS K-member that thing is a near identical rip off of the MM unit. I just spent about 10 mins comparing pics of my MM setup to that and pretty much every gusset and brace is identical. Only major difference I see is the MM unit has that slight cope between the A-arm mounting points. Also, there's a feature on the gussett on the A-arm near the balljoint. I believe it's part of the part number of the A-arm. wow

These are the arms I run, in reverse-offset to retain stock wheelbase. You might be able to use them with the GMS k-member like mentioned to get your wheelback back to stock

D86EC098-6C44-4182-8AC3-2C5887EB140E.jpeg

If it is the GMS K-member, it's likely this kit

Last edited:
Do some searches and you will find that JR (Granatelli founder)did not have any kind of a good reputation. MM called him out publicly for coping their k-member on several forums. You may actually be able to find some reverse offset MM control arms as my guess is they will bolt up to that k-member but that would take some research. If you call MM they will most likely decline to offer any advise but you could also ask to send them pictures of it to verify if it is theirs or not.

MM arms can replace any stock location type of arm.
So if a factory arm would work, most likely an MM arm would too.

Still, it may be the last chance to swap out the k, it's notably more difficult with an engine in the car.
If this is a long term keeper car, i'd buy it all new and not worry about the welds.
There have been a few companies that have stolen designs, personally none get my money.

Reactions: 1 users