1991 Aod Shifter Issue

Joe B

Feb 3, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have a 1991 Stang with an AOD.

My issue is this:

The transmission was stuck in park and would not shift. I pulled the stock shift knob out and was able to shift the car perfectly with just my thumb pressing down the ball on the shifter.

For the life of me I could not get the stock shift knob to work. I tried putting it in several times with no luck.

I took a drive to UPR and found that they carry a custom knob made of aluminum so I picked one up. Tried installing it with no luck. The car still goes in and out of gear with no problems as long as there is no shift knob.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? Am I missing something? Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe when you put the shift knob on it is bottoming out on the shaft just enough to prevent the lockout from disengaging. Try putting a small nut or something in the shift knob hole before you screw it on. Maybe this would stop the knob from screwing down too far and thus allow more clearance of the finished assembly to push down and function.

Reactions: 1 user
Give me a pic of the shifter and the push botton mechanism removed from the shifter

unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg

pop the cover off your shifter, I think the rubber boot should come off with the plastic. there are 4 clips at the sides, take a small flat blade screwdriver and carefully pry up the plastic cover from the sides
put your shifter handle back together and see if the plunger pushes the thing off the notches, if you can post a pic of the finger and the notches

pop the cover off your shifter, I think the rubber boot should come off with the plastic. there are 4 clips at the sides, take a small flat blade screwdriver and carefully pry up the plastic cover from the sides
put your shifter handle back together and see if the plunger pushes the thing off the notches, if you can post a pic of the finger and the notches
Ok So I fixed the problem. Here is how I did it!

Took apart the covers and I could see where the linkage was not going down all the way.

If you look at the picture you can see the little knob that presses down to move the gear shifter.

I pulled that piece out and found that it was broken. I took a small bolt the same diameter, cut the head off with a hacksaw and dropped it down the gear shifter, thus giving the knob more clearance. Problem solved. The shift knob fits perfectly and it moves like a Lincoln. :) Sorry no pictures. Thanks guys for the help!!