Electrical 1992 GT fastback - running light issues

gmorris

Dec 11, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Hello forum. Trying to figure out what to check to get parking lights working. I've tried 4 new headlight switches. The lights will come on at one spot on the switch just after the detent between running to headlights. You go further then the running lights go out and the headlights come on and running lights go out. There's no spot that both headlights and running lights are on. At this one spot, all the lights work correctly so that kinda proves that the lights all work, etc. However, having 4 bad switches also seems unlikely. Headlights/fog lights/turn signals all work normally.

Some additional info:
I just re-did the interior and pulled the dash to replace heater core. Also put in LED instrument bulbs. The guages/lights all work so those connections are good. It would seem that I did something while moving the dash but I do not recall any lighting harness connectors being disconnected. Looking under the dash hasnt produced anything obvious. All the steering column connectors are plugged in. Horn, wipers, etc, all work.

Does anyone have a pin-out diagram of the light switch to check continuity between the pins depending on the switch setting. All 4 of the switches I have appear to be the same. Is there a diagram that's out there that would show what wires I could jumper together on the headlight switch connector to prove the wiring is working?

Thanks for any ideas, Guy

• Sponsors (?)

You should probably explain what year the car is and by "running lights" are you referring to the parking lights? I've added what I have hopefully one of them will get you what you need.

Attachments

• 91-93.gif
    91-93.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 146
  • mustangFoxLights-Radio_diag.gif
    mustangFoxLights-Radio_diag.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 137
  • MustangLights-Horn relay mod.gif
    MustangLights-Horn relay mod.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 145