1992 mustang revs high at start-up

fox182

Feb 22, 2008
hey guys i have an 87 coupe with a 92 5.0, when i start the car it shoots up to 3 grand for about 3 seconds and then drops back down to normal ive replaced the iac and checked for any other problems, cant find anything, anyone ever have this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Any codes?

If the IAC is disconnected and you try to start it cold, will it catch without you holding the pedal down?

i did disconnect the iac and it starts normal and runs better disconnected even though i just replaced it and i did check the tps it did just rain pretty bad i dont know if something got wet or what, thanks guys

If it starts cold without the IAC connected, either the idle adjustment is out of whack or look for a vac leak.

If it starts cold without the IAC connected, either the idle adjustment is out of whack or look for a vac leak.

Mine starts on a cold start with IAC disconnected pretty easily and does not hold above 1000rpms at starts up for a few seconds like it does with it on. It just starts up and drops down bogging it down to 500rpms and then goes back up to 800 or so and jumps around a hundred rpms or so at idle...