1992 notch trunk will not stay open

• Sponsors (?)

theres two bars that connect both sides of the arms, there are a couple of holes that they hook up to. They prob have prob popped out of there.
+1 Or they just need adjusting.

Move the ends of the torsion bars up a notch to increase the force needed to lift the deck lid. According to the Ford Mustang Service Manual, to get a balance between the force needed to hold the deck lid up and too much force throwing the lid open too hard, you can have the two torsion bars in different positions. However there should be no more than one notch difference between them.

Wear some thick, leather work gloves and eye protection when adjusting these torsion bars. There's lots of potential for gouged skin and bits of flying metal when doing this.

I put a fiberglass decklid on my coupe about 2 months ago,and i had to adjust the torsion bars all the way down to the wheel wells in the trunk with some padding below them.But there outta the way for any one to see them.And with a wing on there,unless its a saleen wing (the huge one) you should be able to adjust them up so it will pop open.

+1 Or they just need adjusting.

Move the ends of the torsion bars up a notch to increase the force needed to lift the deck lid. According to the Ford Mustang Service Manual, to get a balance between the force needed to hold the deck lid up and too much force throwing the lid open too hard, you can have the two torsion bars in different positions. However there should be no more than one notch difference between them.

Wear some thick, leather work gloves and eye protection when adjusting these torsion bars. There's lots of potential for gouged skin and bits of flying metal when doing this.

how exactly do you adjust the torsion bars???
One of them is connected on both sides and has both ends pointing toward the rear of the car.
the other one has come unconnected on one side of the trunk. one end is pointed to the rear of the car and the other toward the front of the car. I can not figure out how to get this one back in to place (Am I missing something really stupid here)

Hope it helps.

92torsionbarto8.jpg

Attachments

• 92torsionbarto8.jpg
    92torsionbarto8.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 331
you can get the rear springs from a vert...they'll bolt up to the left and right side, and get rid of those torsion bars,...clearing up additional room in the trunk.

sup everyone.....i got a 91 notchback trunk is missing one torsion bar and it has been hell finding a replacement....i bought trunk springs off a convertible, i heard it can be done but i dont want to add the hinges the convertible has....can anyone help....any suggestions

you don't need the top hinges, as your trunk lid in the notch bolts on via the left and right hinge brackets inside the trunk.

your vert hinges will bolt onto the left and right side in your trunk, but halfway down, or closer to the tail lights. does this make sense?