Engine 1993 Running cool

I’ve got a 1993 GT that I’ve picked up and have been going through fine tuning it as it was someone else’s project. I’ve noticed that the temp gauge runs around the 150* mark most times unless it sits and idles for 30mins in 90* weather. It has an aluminum 3 row radiator with electric contour fans that are set to run at 185* and they do kick on at about the temp by the dash gauge. I know the gauges in these cars suck but it seems to be somewhat right. I will get a temp gun and shoot it and see what it says. It’s starting to cool down here in western NY so I’d like to get some heat lol.

• Sponsors (?)

visually verify that your heater core isn't bypassed and maybe there is a low thermostat installed. Factory was 195 I believe but putting a 180 in is popular to help with keeping cool in hot weather and generally sucks in the winter time heat wise.

Last edited:
I'd try the 195* and see if oyu can buy a cheap temp gauge to install and confirm the low temp. The stock gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Try cleaning the connector on the temp sender or replacing it completely as it's pretty cheap. Any oxidation can increase resistance making the reading incorrect

150 is crazy low.
Likely not a real reading in 90 degrees.
If it has a 180 in it, the t stat shouldn't open until it hits that temperature, so regardless of the size radiator you have, the car should run at least 180 degrees.

My guess is that your gauge reading is way off, so i'm with mike, don't mess with anything until you put a real gauge on it.

The thermostat is brand new and it is working, I can grab the hose while the car is warming up and it is cooler to the touch, check it maybe 10 mins later and it’s hot. I’ve got another temp sensor coming just to see, I’ll grab a temp gun and try and get some readings to verify. My guess is the gauge is off or not reading right at certain temps.