1995 5.0 Engine in an 89

• Sponsors (?)

The water pump and timing cover are different. The accessory brackets are all different as well.

It seems like it should be possible to run an SN95 accessory system on a Fox body, but it would require some re-plumbing of the power steering and A/C lines since they're in different spots, as well as alternator wiring with a conversion to the 3G alternator. Plus, you would also need to convert to an electric fan. ...so this would be a pretty good sized job if you don't already have the Fox components to retro-fit.

The water pump and timing cover are different. The accessory brackets are all different as well.

It seems like it should be possible to run an SN95 accessory system on a Fox body, but it would require some re-plumbing of the power steering and A/C lines since they're in different spots, as well as alternator wiring with a conversion to the 3G alternator. Plus, you would also need to convert to an electric fan. ...so this would be a pretty good sized job if you don't already have the Fox components to retro-fit.
Thanks.. this makes my decsion alot easier... i will pass on the engine.

If you need a long block, this engine is in good shape, and it's reasonably priced, by all means DON'T pass it up! Swapping the front cover is no big deal. Just plan on picking up some gaskets and the other supporting parts for the accessory drive if you don't have them already, or factor that into the total cost. You could probably bounce the SN95 parts on Ebay.

You mentioned an '89 convertible. Does it already have a 5.0 that you're replacing? If that's the case, then you can use the parts from the current engine after some clean-up work. I suggest replacing the water pump while you're into it since they're not that expensive and it's much easier to do when things are already apart.

Reactions: 1 user
If you need a long block, this engine is in good shape, and it's reasonably priced, by all means DON'T pass it up! Swapping the front cover is no big deal. Just plan on picking up some gaskets and the other supporting parts for the accessory drive if you don't have them already, or factor that into the total cost. You could probably bounce the SN95 parts on Ebay.

You mentioned an '89 convertible. Does it already have a 5.0 that you're replacing? If that's the case, then you can use the parts from the current engine after some clean-up work. I suggest replacing the water pump while you're into it since they're not that expensive and it's much easier to do when things are already apart.
Thanks for the reply.. yes I it already has an engine in the very.. are all the parts interchangable to the SN95 5.0?

Good time to check the timing chain......
I am doing a 98 explorer 302 into an 83. Everything has swapped right over no problem.. Lots of new bolts, and solvent tank time, but been really easy