1995 Mustang power seat?

optionizerSS

Apr 23, 2023
Just got a 1995 GT convertible and the power seat was sluggish and wouldn't move with me sitting in it. Took it apart and cleaned it all up and sprayed white lithium grease on the gear screw. Moves real nice now on the bench but one side moves faster than the other. Keep in mind the track is on the bench unbolted from the seat. But when I start at full length one way and go full movement the other way one side gets there quicker than the other. Makes me think that would likely cause some binding? The extent is about 1/2 to 3/4", meaning when one side reaches the end the other side still has 1/2 to 3/4" left to go. Shafts seem to be the same length.
Anyone ever notice this and any ideas on the cause? I'm thinking possibly the gear that connects the flex shaft to the gear shaft may be skipping? I'd hate to put it back together and still have binding. My other option is to order the rebuild kit from LMR and replace that stuff?
Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

That motor gear could be stripped so one side is further ahead. Since it's out already I'd rebuild it if I were you.

Thanks for the link, the power seat on my wife vert is not doing so well either I have a bent seat frame that I might scavenge for parts but it is nice to know I can get new gears if that does not pan out.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to wonder what it would cost to remove the motor and have it gone through to replace brushes and contacts etc...

It's something I've done numerous times for other electric motors. There should be somebody in your area that rebuilds electric motors.

A place like this:

Contact Information​

Company Name
A. Servedio Electric Motor Service
Visit Website
http://www.servedio.com
Phone Number
724-658-8041
New Castle, Pennsylvania, 16101
United States

I have to wonder what it would cost to remove the motor and have it gone through to replace brushes and contacts etc...

It's something I've done numerous times for other electric motors. There should be somebody in your area that rebuilds electric motors.

A place like this:

Contact Information​

Company Name
A. Servedio Electric Motor Service
Visit Website
http://www.servedio.com
Phone Number
724-658-8041
New Castle, Pennsylvania, 16101
United States
yeah that place is only about 15 miles from me. But my motors seem to be fine. I ran them on the bench and they run smooth. If I still have trouble after replacing the gears then I'll likely just buy new motors