1997 Gt Won't Start

97GTUnited

Nov 28, 2016
Hello All,

I am new to the form and was hoping the stang community could help me out.

I recently purchased a 1997 GT Convertible, auto tranny.

It runs strong and I did basic Maint on it to ensure it stayed that way. New water pump, new rad, new thermostat and fluid changes. Also installed a few performance mods, air intake and exhaust system, until I have collected the parts for the PI Head swap.

There were 2 electrical issues that I found and fixed one of them.

The first was the radio and clock would not turn on, found acc amp wire has cut in ford harness and solved that.

The other was the ignition lock cylinder, the key could be pulled out while driving.

The cars has a pats system and I have replaced the lock cylinder with a unit from advance and a unit from ford. Car will not start, and if it does it runs for a second(can be kept running by applying throttle, but does after throttle is depressed) and dies.

Car has half a tank of gas, and I do not see the pats security light on in dash.

I pulled the steering colum out to find the black wire to the pats halo was cut, so I replaced the colum with a full setup from a same year GT, and still have the same issue.

Can anyone tell me where to start, this all started when I pulled the lock cylinder out of the steering column.

• Sponsors (?)

According to a local locksmith, using the wrong key will only cause a no start situation but will reset after a couple of turns of the proper key. He did that exact thing on a 2000 Focus I ws having work done on.

You might call a good locksmith and ask for his thoughts on it.