1st automatic after 4 manuals-getting old

candc

Dec 20, 2006
It must be age, but I have sold my 07 5 speed and will be picking up an 07 auto tomorrow. The 5 speed I had ordered with 3:55's and it was fun but I am tired of shifting. It is worth noting that all the other mustangs prior to that one were Fox bodies and I never liked the autos in those bodies, but this model trans seems much better. I don't plan on major mods (the other one was stock) but I did think that a rear gear swap would really increase "seat of the pants" acceleration. I don't plan to drag the car, this is just a play toy to go out on the weekends with. I would like to have more than just the average performance of a stock GT. What ratio do I need to get a noticable difference in the feel but not stress the car too much at say 75 mph on a highway trip? Other than that, will a program or chip be worth it? I ask this as I noticed a lag sometimes in the manual between my foot position and the engine. Any starter package advice would be appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I personally think that 4.10s are too much for highway driving.

I drive an auto & am planning on 3.73s... But I also plan on a lot of power in the long run (500+ rwhp).

If you change the gears, you need a tuner as well.

The first link below is a little cheaper, but if you want to do more than just gears (i.e. cold air intake, headers, etc), you'll need the second link.

Ford Racing Gears and the Dallas Mustang Speedcal at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Ford Racing Gears and Tuners at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

candc, I too, had several manual trans Mustangs (5 of them) before deciding my '07 GT would be an automatic. Having 5 gears really helps the gear spacing and acceleration!

4.10's are awesome for our heavy automatic GT's. At 60 mph, it's only 2100 rpm's, and 80 mph is only 2800 rpm's (with the stock height tires). Sounds like you'll keep this GT close to stock, so 4.10's will really make you happy! If you think you may someday add a roots or twin-screw supercharger later, then I wouldn't recommend anything over 3.73's. If a centrifugal supercharger or turbocharger is in the cards, then I'd suggest 4.10's.

Any of the popular tuners are great (i.e. DiabloSport Predator or the SCT's). Most come with decent tunes, or you can mail away to any number of nationally known tuning greats out there (Bamachips, Brenspeed, etc.).

100% stock, except for 4.10's and a tuner, and my '07 GT automatic was running 13.30's @ 102 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not too bad for a heavy, well-optioned automatic.

I have had many manuals. I now have an automatic at age 56. I have arthritis and other problems including two foot surgeries (right foot) that didn't make things any better.
I feel your pain, literally.

CANDC
For the use you are describing that you plan for the car go with 3.73's for the rear gears and call BamaChips and order a CAI and SCT tuner with Doug's 93 octane torque and race tunes. You will be amazed at the transformation from stock. I think 4.10's are too much gear for a normal street driven car that will not be raced.

Earl

I personally would go with the 3:73s. Given your description of the car is stock, age, etc. I have had experience with all sorts of gear ratios over my many years from the high 2:xxs to 4:56s in my younger days. I don't like to hear an engine buzz on the freeway on trips in 5th gear any more. I think 3:73 is a good compromise.

Did the same think... 3 fox bodies, 03 Cobra,... and now an 07 GT Auto. I am impressed with the performance of the auto...when data logging going through the gears, I see about .21 seconds to change from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th...I don't know if I could change gears myself with a manual...

I'd buy gearing to keep cruisng rpm under 2100 or your highway mileage might drop pretty good. Mine did. I went back to stock 3.55's with manual trans. 4.10's were a blast to play with though. Just found I liked my highway cruise more.