1st Performance Mod Completed! (Magnaflow X-Pipe & Cat-Back...) "Wow"

Mega-Man

Aug 6, 2004
Sammamish, WA
First off, you guys did not steer me wrong (pardon the pun). When I first stumbled across this board at the beginning of the month, I knew nothing and had no idea where to start. Now, I have my first performance mod in and am just thrilled.

I went with the Manaflow catted-X and cat-back system. I liked the sound, and from what people have said it gives you pretty nice gains as well (and can now testify to it). These are the main reasons for my choice:

1.) I didn't want a super-loud exhaust (I have neighbors, and I'd like them to remain friendly to me). Plus, I like the sound of the Magnaflows--it gives me what I was after--a more "ballsy" presence. Not too little, not too much, just right.
2.) I have emissions--I didn't want to have to worry about not passing them. Hence, the reason why my cats are still on.
3.) I have no tools or place to do my own work. Cutting / welding stuff was out of the question for me. Also, the shop got me the parts, and got me out of the door for well under retail (this included installation, too).
4.) I wanted a simple setup to give me the most bang for my buck.

I was able to drive approximately 35 miles on the freeway with 'em, and I must say, squirting up to 90 is extremely easy to do now. The exhaust makes the car run so much smoother--it's the first thing I really noticed. Instead of working / breathing hard, it just "flows". (Think of a runner who is at the tail end of a 5-mile run gasping for air, compared to a runner just off of the starting block.) My car was saying "thank-you" to me all the way back to work. :)

So there you have it. I thought this might help folks who were on the fence about their first mod, and figured the rest of you would like to hear "you were right." LOL Thanks again, guys! :nice:

My list of mods thus far:
1.) Turn off T/C (traction control) - Who would'a thought it could make a difference?
2.) Tires - Being able to stick to the road is a "very good thing".
3.) Springs - Taking corners at double the rated / suggested speed--priceless. Added looks--a bonus.
4.) Exhaust - Feeling the car breathe, and having your pony be happy by performing better is another "very good thing".
5.) Gears - Getting them installed this Friday! More details to come.

That is all, I hope you've enjoyed the "Mega Report". A story of an old man, his pony, and the pursuit of driving excellence.

• Sponsors (?)

Some "Mom & Pop" muffler place. What's funny, when I was originally on the phone with the guy I mentioned I was going to hit the net to find the best deal. He said, "give me the part number and let me call my distributor." Got a call back and gave me several options (if you get this, it will be this much--if you want us to build you a system, it will be this much, etc.).

At any rate, it came down to him saying, "I can get you the Magnaflow system you want, installed, and out the door for $600.00 within 45 minutes or less." Three days later, it was exactly as he said. ;) Not bad when the MSRP on the system alone is around $650.00, eh?

EDIT:
So... I'd suggest calling some local muffler places in addition to browsing the web. Consider how much you'll save on shipping, time to install them yourself, etc. and weigh the different options. Good luck!

Mustang_GT_02 said:
what kind of springs do u have? i was thinking getting some r they worth it?

Eibach Sportline Kit And to answer our second question--oh, ya! ;) Now that they're broken in a bit, the car just hugs the road like you want it to. (Compared to stock, that is...)

Thanks all! I'll let you know how things are when the gears go in on Friday. My wife found out about the exhaust yesterday, and boy is she pissed at me... I just pray she doesn't find out about my appointment on Friday.

Thanks for the write-up. :flag: You have a good start on helping your stang breathe better on the exhaust side. LT headers, of course, should be next. I did not notice any intake modifications. You may want to consider a K & N filter, along with a larger throttle body and plenum. A different intake pipe will also help your stang to breathe better. Keep up the good work.

I think Scotty still has some clips of his in his signature... :shrug: They were the reason I went with the Catted-X and Packs. Most excellent.

Good job on the mom and pop shop, too. Places around here in UT wouldn't touch a working cat. :nonono:

Now that the stang is exhaling better, how about the inhale. You must do away with the restrictive intake. There are a number of good CAI's out there.
That must be your next mod, don't do one with out the other. Try the search function and all your questions will be answered. :nice: