1st project on my '70: brakes. Advice needed...

00redGT

Jun 24, 2003
Central Ohio
Some of you may know that I recently bought a basic ’70 convertible, with the 2 bbl 302, C-4 tranny, and 4-wheel manual drum brakes. I have a lot of things that I need to do to my car, but it is drivable. My thoughts are to rebuild/replace all of the mechanicals and then save the bodywork/paint for last. This way, I can enjoy it while I do things to it. Sure, it’ll take a little longer, but that’s ok.

I’ve settled on my first project - new brakes. I said it is drivable, but that’s as long as nobody is in front of me ;) Right now, I have to stand on the pedal just to get the thing to slow down. I don’t want to waste any money on the current brakes just to get them to work better. I’d rather drop it all into a new braking system. The plan, like so many here, is to go to a 4-wheel disc setup and replace the entire system.

As for what setup, I’ve settled on MustangSteve’s brackets. My biggest question is what to do with the master cylinder, power booster, junction block/proportioning valve, etc. I think I want power brakes (never driven a disc car without it). So, I was looking into Ultrastang’s site and looking at adapting a late 80’s/early 90’s MC/booster setup. Then, I’d need a proportioning valve, distribution block, and power brake pedal.

Just as I thought I had things figured out, I came across JMC’s master cylinder. They state that it offers the same pedal feel/power as a power booster setup, eliminating the need for a booster. Plus, they say that I won’t need a proportioning valve either. I could also get away from not needing a distribution block and just run the brake lines through a T. I guess the only thing I’d need is the residual valve.

Do you have any thoughts/insight to this? I’m ready to start buying parts, but I just want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff. I only want to do this once.

Oh, if these decisions aren’t enough, I’m also strongly considering converting to a T5 tranny…meaning I’d have to get a whole different pedal assembly for a clutch pedal.

Decision, decisions. Can you help by offering some advice here?

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on the JMC master cylinders. They are good quality, but people have mixed opinions on using these as manual brakes versus power booster. A search should provide you with some reading and give you some more to chew on before making your decision.

jcode68 said:
Do a search on the JMC master cylinders. They are good quality, but people have mixed opinions on using these as manual brakes versus power booster. A search should provide you with some reading and give you some more to chew on before making your decision.

Thanks for the advice, but I've spent a lot of time searching this site for information. That's why I don't have many posts ('cause I usually find what I'm looking for) and how I found out about the JMC MC.

I am hoping that someone would post something here that maybe I have missed...something that would help me with my decision.

Thanks.

Well... I believe you may be able to use a Fox body 4cyl booster; as for the m/c- well you've got a lot of options. Best bet is to find out exactly what you are going to run as far as front and back, then find a compatible bore m/c. The baer kit I got came with one basically from a 94/95 mustang, but you can use others.
Have fun!!

2nd Mustang said:
I wonder if you could just hang a three pedal assembly now and just not use the clutch pedal until you're ready for a tranny swap. I'm sure I've seen other threads about people doing this.

I was thinking of doing just this...no reason to spend money on something I'm eventually going to replace. The problem is finding the assembly. As far as I know, nobody reproduces it. I can find them on eBay, but they aren't cheap. I'm in the Columbus are, so I'm heading over to to the fall Ford parts swap, hoping to find some goodies to make this brake conversion a little cheaper.

You could use a stock '70 brake booster and the corresponding power brake pedal for the '70 model.

Alternatively, you could modify your firewall/pedal support for adapting the Fox Mustang brake booster. If you do this, and if you intend to retain the C-4 automatic, you could use the 2.3L booster version which is larger in diameter than the 5.0L Fox booster. The 2.3L version will give you more room between the booster and the back of the driver's side shock tower, because the 2.3L booster is more "flat" than the 5.0L booster.

However, if you intend to switch to a manual transmission and use either the stock-type clutch linkages, or something like a JMC hydraulic clutch MC, the 2.3L Fox booster won't work --it will cover up the hole in the firewall where the linkage or hyd. clutch MC would need to mount. In this case, you would have to run the 5.0L Fox booster version.

If you intened to switch to something like the T-5, you could use the 2.3L booster if you used a clutch cable setup. --but like I said, you wouldn't be able to use the stock clutch linkages or a hyd. clutch setup with the 2.3L booster.

www.ultrastang.com