• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

2.73 to 3.73 gears (any problems?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter green
  • Start date Start date May 12, 2007
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
D

DRock9

New Member
Aug 22, 2006
359
0
0
May 15, 2007
#21
  • May 15, 2007
  • #21
I am trusting you thumper! I called some "speed shop" near me and he refused to rebuild my Trac-loc saying he would just "throw in" an Auburn or Eaton and he also tried to sell me a predator tuner instead of just putting in a new speedo gear...would charge me $350 to just put them in the rear not including fixing the speedometer.
 

aete2

Founding Member
Nov 23, 2001
554
3
19
May 15, 2007
#22
  • May 15, 2007
  • #22
I just went from 2:73's to 3:55's and i love it! I would have someone that knows what there doing do it though, there are pinion angels and bearings etc..that need to be done and if not done right could blow it up, just my two cents.
 
8

865.0

New Member
Feb 23, 2006
24
0
0
May 15, 2007
#23
  • May 15, 2007
  • #23
I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but I notice that you have a 85' Mustang GT. Make sure you order gears for a 7.5 rearend unless you have swapped to a 8.8 already.

I don't think after any gear install that you should hear any noise. This usually means that something isn't 100% correct. Mine doesn't make any noise whatsoever. Most of whom I knew who's gears were "whinning" had premature wear.

Seek out a professional installer. Maybe not necessarily a Mustang specialists. I had my gears installed by Clutch and Powertrain Products out of Mobile, AL almost eight years ago. Rearend is holding together strong with absolutely no noise.

As far as the swap, you'll enjoy it. The only negative/downside to my swap is due to my transmission. I'm still running the 3.35 first gear ratio in my T-5. First is incredibly short, longing for the 2.95 swap....
 

90_Red_LX

Member
Sep 29, 2003
668
5
19
Asheboro, NC
May 15, 2007
#24
  • May 15, 2007
  • #24
3.73 is a good swap. Like said above I didn't notice it but your factory rear end is a 7.5. If it hasn't been swapped to a 8.8 I highly reccommend that you do so. I am almost positive your brakes will swap right over, along with axles and most other things, even though I reccommend an upgrade in that department also. I think a 4.10 gear would be a little better for a stock motor, but since I've done my h/c swap, 3.73 is perfect to me. It hooks up very well for street tires and just kyb struts/shocks as a suspension mod.
 

TwoToneHatch

Active Member
Mar 22, 2007
170
2
28
New Jersey
May 15, 2007
#25
  • May 15, 2007
  • #25
I just did the 2:73 to 3:73 swap with no problems.It woke the car right up it's so much more fun to drive.But like said in all the other posts try to upgrade to an 8.8 rear.
 
P

PJB

New Member
Aug 22, 2006
131
0
0
Rotterdam, NY
May 16, 2007
#26
  • May 16, 2007
  • #26
I went from 2.73's to 4.10's and its fine.
I just needed to change the speedometer gear but you have to do that with any gear changes.
 
V

VANWALL

New Member
Feb 26, 2002
21
0
1
May 23, 2007
#27
  • May 23, 2007
  • #27
I just completed the 2.73 to 3.73 swap last week. Very happy with the results.

Only problem is that I stopped at the Ford garage this afternoon and they said they could not get the white 23 tooth speedo gear.

Does anyone know a source for the gear?
 

aete2

Founding Member
Nov 23, 2001
554
3
19
May 23, 2007
#28
  • May 23, 2007
  • #28
VANWALL said:
I just completed the 2.73 to 3.73 swap last week. Very happy with the results.

Only problem is that I stopped at the Ford garage this afternoon and they said they could not get the white 23 tooth speedo gear.

Does anyone know a source for the gear?
Click to expand...

Ebay that's where i got mine, works fine.
 

green

New Member
Apr 26, 2003
291
0
0
May 24, 2007
#29
  • May 24, 2007
  • #29
cool, thanks alot guys, thats the information i needed, my rearend is a 7.5inch, i dident bother switching to a 8.8inch. maybe some day in the future. if i put in 3.73 gears will i still be able to do a sideways spin on asphalt. i mean if i take off now, and floor the car i can swing the car around and fishtail on the asphlat for a decent distance. but with the 3.73,s wont that be impossible because it will rev so much higher or will it be able to do it in second gear. thanks alot.
 
J

jdemolet

Member
Sep 1, 2013
139
7
19
Mar 22, 2014
#30
  • Mar 22, 2014
  • #30
im doing the same swap except I already have an 8.8 so I wont have to change any shims with the gear swap
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
217
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
New Member with a 1992
  • Clutchfork
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
386
The Welcome Wagon Oct 19, 2025
Clutchfork
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
835
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
248
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?