• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

2 questions - Clutch Size and Speedo cable connection

  • Thread starter Thread starter webshot
  • Start date Start date Jan 14, 2007
W

webshot

Member
Sep 11, 2005
738
0
17
Yay Area, California
Jan 14, 2007
#1
  • Jan 14, 2007
  • #1
I need to replace my clutch and was on 50resto looking for a good replacement.

Basically lookin for recommendation from this page. Either the RAM CLutch or the FMS "King Cobra or Heavy Duty".

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products.aspx?category=MCLUTCH6

Also I did my heater core install today. And while sliding the dash down, my speedo cable popped out. I was unintential and didnt sound right when it did so. Now I went to put it back with the dash and I couldnt make it pop back in. SO for now my speedo doesnt work. Anyone have any advice on how to pop the speed cable back in? It got cold and I have to drive the car so I had to put it back together. But I plan to revisit this, this weekend. Does the dash have to come back out?

Please help.
 
W

webshot

Member
Sep 11, 2005
738
0
17
Yay Area, California
Jan 14, 2007
#2
  • Jan 14, 2007
  • #2
Gonna try this for my speedo connection:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=644792&highlight=speedometer+cable

Man I gotta learn to search before I panic and run to you guys....lol.

But I would still like advice on the clutch. Or if you have anything else to add on the speedo deal.
 
V

v8only

Active Member
Jul 3, 2003
2,378
22
49
Jan 14, 2007
#3
  • Jan 14, 2007
  • #3
both of those are great entry level clutches.
 

bubba-dough

Active Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,044
2
38
Indiana
Jan 14, 2007
#4
  • Jan 14, 2007
  • #4
Yeah any of those clutches would be fine. As far as the speedo thing that link listed is a good one.
 

tording

Founding Member
Nov 11, 2000
164
0
0
Hampton, VA
Jan 14, 2007
#5
  • Jan 14, 2007
  • #5
I ran the FMS King cobra clutch for over 2 years and they were a hard 2 years. Multiple 5000 rpm clutch drops on sticky tires and never had a problem from it. Never slipped and never chattered or anthing. Also had a decent pedal effort. Little stiffer than stock but not bad.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Jan 15, 2007
#6
  • Jan 15, 2007
  • #6
King Cobra is the best clutch for less than 350 HP. I highly recommend it for a daily driver.
 

tom23

New Member
Dec 20, 2004
55
0
0
CT
Jan 15, 2007
#7
  • Jan 15, 2007
  • #7
One more vote for the King Cobra
 

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
904
5
39
CT
Jan 15, 2007
#8
  • Jan 15, 2007
  • #8
If you decide on Ford Racing, get the King Cobra, not the Heavy Duty. The King Cobra is a little lighter and stronger. Pedal effort is not that bad if you have a new cable and aftermarket quadrant.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
632
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
Removing speedo cable from the VSS
  • 91AOD5.0LX
  • Mar 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 25, 2026
91AOD5.0LX
S
  • Locked
Drivetrain Adjustable clutch cable questions
  • Scott_S
  • Oct 31, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
496
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
Noobz347
00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
174
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
426
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Saturday at 12:05 PM
fasterthangas
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?