Electrical 2000 3.8 weird ignition issue

Having two weird issues and they almost guaranteed to be related. Every now and then I'll turn the key and It acts like I didn't do anything. I get no lights, no dings, like it didn't just turn the key. If I wiggle it around it seems to help but its random when it does it. Also the other issue is with the engine running, idle or driving doesnt matter. It will seem to try to cut the ignition off like I just turned the key off. Radio will cut off and come back on, and itll shudder a bit then act normal. Was going to change out the ignition switch on the lower column just in case since it's all of 20 bucks. Any info on this? Searched and it does not seem to be a common thing....

• Sponsors (?)

I concur. It's most likely the ignition switch. Do you want to know for sure? Then test fuse F2.34 to see IF there's power in and out of the fuse. if the ignition switch is bad there won't be power into Fuse F2.34 with the key in the run position. Best to use a test light that will "load" the circuit..

If no key on power into fuse F2.34 the most likely failure point is the ignition switch.

If it turns out there is power in fuse F2.34 with the key on while the problem is occurring, then more tests are needed to narrow down where the problem is.

1996+ Crank with no start check list

1999-2004 BJB CJB fuse panel layout:

Last edited:
I concur. It's most likely the ignition switch. Do you want to know for sure? Then test fuse F2.34 to see IF there's power in and out of the fuse. if the ignition switch is bad there won't be power into Fuse F2.34 with the key in the run position. Best to use a test light that will "load" the circuit..

If no key on power into fuse F2.34 the most likely failure point is the ignition switch.

If it turns out there is power in fuse F2.34 with the key on while the problem is occurring, then more tests are needed to narrow down where the problem is.

1996+ Crank with no start check list

1999-2004 BJB CJB fuse panel layout:

Yea, i swapped it out and the new one turned to have a broken return spring. Swapped the old one back in for the time being and the issue has bot reared its head at all. I hate intermittent electrical issues. So hard to pin down unless you're lucky and it acts up while your testing.... thanks for the reply!