2000 3.8L swap for a 351W

I am interested in swapping out the 3.8L in my 2000 mustang for a 302 or 351. from my understanding it is the same process for the 302 and 351. I am probably gonna go with the 351W. Selling the car to get a GT is not an option, there is alot of sentimental value involved in this one! The 3.8 is a windsor as well as the 302 and 351 so Ive heard that it will bolt to my AODE. I know it may not hold up to the V8 but I am going to leave it for now. I have a 8.8 rearend with 4:10 gears and a locker in the car already. I also have the FR500 hood on my car so I shouldn't have to worry about hood clearance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would like to carburate it because I think it would be an easier swap and I don't like all the fuel injection mess. I know it's efficient but it's not worth it to me unless fuel injection would make the swap easier. Has anyone done this swap? Any ideas with what I might need? I would appreciate any info.....

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, you should look for a complete 94-95 GT to use as a parts car if planning on doing the swap (probably wrecked in the rear). You'll need the K member, cluster, dash harness, fuel lines, probably the transmission harness, but may also need to swap the body harness, as well. It will be a very involved process, with the need for some aftermarket components, such as a transmission controller for the AODE, a fan controller for the electric fan, a relay for the in-tank pump, and keep in mind that the ABS, air conditioning, and airbag systems will likely no longer function without their respective wiring and controllers (CCRM). If you use the parts from a donor car, you can swap everything over piece by piece, taking note of their locations as you go. I can definitely understand sentimental value, but there does come a point when logic needs to take a second look, too. Why not find a wrecked 4.6 car and go that route? It would probably be easier to source parts from a 96-04 than it would to find parts from a 94-95.

Yea thats very true! The reason I was going with a 351 was because I have one that is in perfect condition with 32,000 miles on it. But I guess I could get rid of it and get the 4.6L with a tranny. What do you know about that swap? How much less difficult will that be?

It probably wouldn't be much less difficult, but the body and dash harnesses would probably be the same in the 4.6 cars as in your 2000 3.8. The biggest issue is probably just finding a car that's complete to use as a donor, but cheap enough to make it feasable. Shoot a PM to SVT32VDOHC. He did a complete 01 GT swap to an 81 coupe (drivetrain, harness, dash, suspension) and could probably offer up some tips, as well as locate parts, or a complete car, since he runs an auto salvage yard.

Don't let StangGT1995 scare you. If you have sufficient knowledge, tools, and most importantly time you can use the 351w and I personally would prefer it to a 4.6.
  • It's lighter.
  • Easily as well as cheaply stroked to 393ci.
  • More power through bolt ons. Lets face it guys. 4.6's need fuel and air so forced induction is the only route.
  • Nazman from Mighty Mustangs has the highest HP 4.6 with just bolt ons and only managed to get 337hp at the flywheel from a 4.6l.
  • Highest 4.6 N/A I know of is 374hp at the flywheel from Shawn Johnson's '99 GT.
  • You can push 500 horsepower out of a 351w or 393w easily.
  • Cheaper to upgrade a 351w then 4.6.

Plenty of people have done the 351w swap search google a little bit. You will need new motor mounts, k-member. You'll need to figure out how you're going to wire everything. Possibly need a cowled hood depend on the motor mount and intake height. Need to figure out how to bolt the 351w to the exhaust system or if you just want to make a new exhaust system. You'll also need what StangGT above mentioned.

The swap isn't really that difficult if you know what you're doing. Just rather time consuming. You won't be able to pass emissions with the car. Disabling the air bags is technically illegal. You can make the air conditioner work but that just adds to the time it will take. I would go with the 351w myself for a hot street car. 4.6l in my 2005 Mustang is rather weak, imo but still very suitable for a daily driver in the summer. My 302(stroked to 331) is a whole lot more fun on the street.

Don't let StangGT1995 scare you...

I'm sorry if I came across that way, the last thing I would want to do is deter you, if you're hell bent on doing the swap. I'm all for interesting projects and offering up any help/technical advice that I can, but going from a 3.8 V6 to a 5.0, in a car that would otherwise have received a 4.6 may, or may not have some unforeseen obstacles to overcome. The actual swap may be the easiest part of the project, as it basically just bolts in place. It's the wiring and the other electrical/mechanical systems that could be the cause of sleepless nights and overdoses on Tums. I'm a 5.0 guy, but I do recognize that a 4.6 swap may end up being easier, given the model year of the car, and its existing wiring setup. A 4.6 EEC may work with the existing cluster, which should have a digital odometer, versus the mechanical one on the 5.0 cars, which necessitates changing the dash harness for compatibility. Things like that come to mind and I cringe at the thought of having to remove the dash, just to swap a harness. It would be a fun project, but definitely time consuming and maybe a bit on the expensive side.

4.6 would certainly be easier. How much so really depends on what all swaps over. I'm not too sure on the differences in wiring harasses. For all I know they might totally swap over with the addition of the 4.6's computer. You would have to get a donor car which can get expensive depending on where you live.

I suppose it really depends on your goals. If it was me I would have no problem fabricating a custom gauge cluster and redoing tons of wiring in order to have a 351w(of course this is assuming a worst case scenario) because the 351w/393w would suit my needs excellently(Read:Go fast ^.^).

If you just want a v8 I would probably go for a 4.6. If you want a mean N/A street car you really just can't go wrong with a 351/393.