2000 gt convertible battery drain

Hwystar1

5 Year Member
Jul 11, 2017
Good morning GT world
I have a 2000 GT convertible that’s just a weekend cruiser. It’s an automatic transmission with a 460 stereo. If the vehicle sits for two weeks without being driven the battery drains. If I use it every weekend I never have a problem. The stereo seems to be operating properly, all the amps seem to be working. Not a technical guy, would most likely have to take It to stereo shop or my mechanic for repair. Any insight and comments would be appreciated.

Have a nice day
Hwystar1

• Sponsors (?)

As a reminder. You are posting in the "tech" section. This is where to come to get help to fix your car YOURSELF.

If looking for a quick TLDR answer then take it to a mechanic as a professional mechanic should have the tools and know how to track the problem down.

Note, this may not be a stereo problem. What IF:
  • The battery is bad and just can't hold a charge.
  • The alternator isn't putting out enough to actually fully charge the battery.
  • There's some other device in the car drawing too much key off power.
At the minimum at least confirm with a proper test that the battery is good and holds a charge.

If looking to take it a step further, have the alternator tested. Almost all auto parts stores will test for FREE.

Here's some more information regarding charging system testing and maintenance.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

If looking for additional "low tech" tests to help narrow down the problem, then consider just pulling the radio fuse between uses. If the battery stays charged that all but "proves" the draw is in the radio.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Good morning GT world
I have a 2000 GT convertible that’s just a weekend cruiser. It’s an automatic transmission with a 460 stereo. If the vehicle sits for two weeks without being driven the battery drains. If I use it every weekend I never have a problem. The stereo seems to be operating properly, all the amps seem to be working. Not a technical guy, would most likely have to take It to stereo shop or my mechanic for repair. Any insight and comments would be appreciated.

Have a nice day
Hwystar1
i have a 2001 convert that did the same thing. the drivers side anp was the culprit, so I unhooked it, problem solved.i never listen to radio anyhow.LOL

i have a 2001 convert that did the same thing. the drivers side anp was the culprit, so I unhooked it, problem solved.i never listen to radio anyhow.LOL

I am figuring that I have an amp that is staying hot, thanks for giving me a “ this is what happened to me” comment.
The kind of input I was hoping to get

Have a nice day
Hwystar1

UPDATE ON THE BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE
so I did continue to have the battery draining issue until about a month ago.
The factory Mach 460 finally died. I replaced it with a Kenwood radio and Alpine amp and had all of the factory stereo components disconnected. The car just sat for three weeks while I was on business and I came home and she fired right up.
So, my experience is telling me that the stereo was the problem with the battery drained.

Reactions: 1 user